BI with Hikvision NVR

Reaction score
I could not seem to find much in a search on this: If I have an existing HIkvision NVR, can I control it with Blue Iris?

Basically, I would like to continue using the NVR as a POE switch and for its hard drive storage, but would like to use a PC to control and view my cameras and also utilize Blue Iris detection and alert features. Is this possible? Will Blue Iris just find the NVR and let me take over?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I could not seem to find much in a search on this: If I have an existing HIkvision NVR, can I control it with Blue Iris?

Basically, I would like to continue using the NVR as a POE switch and for its hard drive storage, but would like to use a PC to control and view my cameras and also utilize Blue Iris detection and alert features. Is this possible? Will Blue Iris just find the NVR and let me take over?
You can stream the cameras from the nvr to blue iris but blue iris cannot record the the drive in the nvr.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what the fendermeister said.

How do you "control" your NVR now? With a mouse when viewing it on a monitor that is attached directly to the NVR?

I ask just in case you were not aware that the NVR itself has an embedded webGUI that, using a browser on your PC on the same LAN segment & subnet as the NVR, you can view the NVR's settings, recorded video clips and live camera streams. t may be easier for you to use it than directly from the NVR.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@charlie82358 I'm not sure I understand your question but I'm running a HikVision NVR and BlueIris, I have the Hik completely isolated from outside access and view all my cameras via BlueIris. I'm also utilizing the features from BlueIris with the Hik cameras connected to my NVR. BlueIris might not "just find the NVR", you might have to configure it manually. I hope this helps.