BI yes but some W10 questions here

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An HP Elite SFF Desktop with W10 pro dedicated to just BI for example, what recommendations for handling the W10 side of the system, updates, anti-virus, anti-malware, backups or anything else.

Run a BI system isolated from the internet and there are fewer risks that need covering. Currently I'm not sure how much I will want the reassurance of accessing my cctv cameras away from home.

So assuming a fresh W10 for Bi what are the W10 configuration essentials?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't use the system for anything else except BI, then there's little reason to install any third-party antivirus or antimalware or to worry about backups.

As for updates, good luck. I think every method I've ever tried has failed to make Win10 not reboot itself automatically for an update.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter.
  2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update.
  3. Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to '2 - Notify for download and notify for install'

Reaction score
Antivirus can actually cause problems as it tries to scan files open by Blue Iris, and if you only use the computer to run Blue Iris (not using it to browse other random things and installing random crap off the internet) you significantly reduce the risk of both malware and viruses anyhow. If in doubt put it on it's own subnet, and run a software firewall for all but basic (web server and RDP/VNC port access).

My Windows 10 Pro doesn't reboot very often due to Microsoft pushes, possibly because it has an option to "Choose when updates are installed" which I have set to "Semi-Annual Channel", but my gaming desktop running Windows 10 Home used to reboot every few days thanks to Microsoft. I thought there used to be an option for "Metered Connections" where you could effectively reduce the frequency but maybe not because I cannot find it anymore.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Antivirus can actually cause problems as it tries to scan files open by Blue Iris, and if you only use the computer to run Blue Iris (not using it to browse other random things and installing random crap off the internet) you significantly reduce the risk of both malware and viruses anyhow. If in doubt put it on it's own subnet, and run a software firewall for all but basic (web server and RDP/VNC port access).

My Windows 10 Pro doesn't reboot very often due to Microsoft pushes, possibly because it has an option to "Choose when updates are installed" which I have set to "Semi-Annual Channel", but my gaming desktop running Windows 10 Home used to reboot every few days thanks to Microsoft. I thought there used to be an option for "Metered Connections" where you could effectively reduce the frequency but maybe not because I cannot find it anymore.

I think Metered Connections is only WiFi.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assume I receive a new PC with a fresh W10 Pro to use as a dedicated BI PC, do I update W10 as a one off at least, to address any memory leak or who knows what else etc?
Do I check for pre-installed software?
Do I delete any pre-installed software, assume it's a HP EliteDesk SFF?
Apart from BI, is there any other software I should install?

I intend to add a second NIC (Network Interface Card) for the cameras' network to mimic the initial set-up of my Hikvision NVR, currently I expect that I'll ditch the NVR in favour of using the BI PC.

Comments and advice please.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The usual recommendation is to create new installation media on a USB flash drive using Microsoft's official Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, then use that to do a fresh install yourself. This way it will be entirely free of vendor-supplied nonsense and should be fairly up-to-date from the start.

Updating Windows manually before installing BI is encouraged. Though it is not supposed to happen, many major Windows updates have had people coming here to complain that they had to reactivate BI after the update.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should keep the system as clean as possible for the sake of stability. Besides Blue Iris you will probably want remote access software such as TeamViewer, and maybe an NPAPI-plugin-compatible browser such as Pale Moon (32 bit) to help with camera configuration. There are a few tools here you could consider as well: 3rd-Party Addons and Tools for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Do you advise just sticking with the stock Windows drivers? Chipset, etc?
Besides the possible video driver issue of course.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of my systems I perform 1 initial windows update and get all the drivers up-to-date. I then disable windows update service.

Keeps computer from updating in the background, spiking CPU and having random update reboots.