BI4 Setup - Am I doing something wrong?

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I finally got all my new Hikvisions installed. They all work fine, and I went into the camera setup for each unit and set it's resolution, framerate, time, etc.

I added all the cameras to Blue Iris...at first I had them set to record continuously, then last night I changed them to motion triggers only. I kept Zone A the way it is (the entire frame by default), and set up Zone B with the important parts of the frame where I want to detect motion. I made sure the alerts are only supposed to trigger for Zone B.

The cameras capture motion, and they seem to be recording just fine.

But when I get a push notification on my phone, there's no clip for me to view. When I had the cameras recording continuously, it would never show any clips to view. When I first changed the cameras to motion triggering, it worked fine. A car would drive by, it would record it, and I could see the clip immediately on the Android app.

But after the first couple, even though I get a motion alert, neither the Android app nor the web interface has any new clips for me to see. It only shows the first few from yesterday, even though I didn't change any settings. This morning when I left for work, my phone buzzed as I backed the car out, but when I got to work I checked the alert, and there was no clip.

Server is powered by an i7-2600K, 16GB of RAM, and running Windows Server 2008 R2. All eight cameras are set to 1080p (three at 30fps, the remaining five at 20) with HA+VPP, and BI4 is not running in service mode. I wanted to run it in service mode, but when I open the BI4 console, I can't see any of the live feeds at all. It lets me view clips, but when I go back to live mode, I can't seem to interact with the window at all. I thought maybe it was because I was using Remote Desktop, so I turned off service mode, and then it was fine. I'm now triggering a scheduled task on startup that runs BI4 (and BI Tools) under a BI service account I set up on the domain. Drawback is, I have to kill both processes if I want to open the console, but that doesn't really bother me. Being able to log off with BI still running far outweighs that disadvantage, lol.

Anyway, with all of the above, the CPU usage varies a bit, but averages around 45%.

So my question is, first of all, why are these clips not appearing, and secondly, is that level of CPU usage normal? It was around the same yesterday when I had HA disabled, so I'm not sure how much difference it made.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am running the latest update of BI, v4.3.3.1.

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
- Just updated to 4.3.3.2
- Cranked the three 30FPS cameras down to 15FPS, and the remaining five units down to 10FPS
- Before doing the above, turned off HA entirely just to see what would happen...the CPU usage went up slightly, but not by much
- Turned HA back on, but left VPP disabled; also turned off playback HA

CPU usage is now down to ~28%, so I'm happy. :)

I think I might have fixed the playback issue as well. Looks like it was a permissions issue with the service account, but I'm going to monitor it over the next 24 hours just to be sure.

EDIT: Flipped it back to service mode, and its working fine!! Not sure what the issue was before. I guess it was either VPP, or too much CPU load, either due to the FPS settings, or the playback HA being enabled. All seems to be fine now, though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: