BI5 alerts to phone by txt delayed?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using gmail to get alerts sent to my phone but lately the txt are delayed by as much as a few hours.

Is there a better option?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, many threads here with issues by mobile carriers and getting restrictive and making things like this SPAM.

Keep in mind at any time a mobile carrier could consider it spam too and limit or block it if too many emails are being sent at once.

If you haven't done it, I would suggest you work on motion settings to knock out almost all false triggers. BI sending 12 emails or MMS at once will probably redflag most providers.

When I first started they were sporadic or late due to sending so many that ended up being false OR I really didn't need the alert (live every car driving by), but as I dialed in my system, the results are almost instantaneous and consistent now. But even with how few I have it sending now, it still happens.

As I have got more comfortable with my system and its capabilities, I have configured it to only send me text messages for violations of my "personal space".

If you are having text messages go to more than one person at once, then in the alerts, add a break time in between each email/text Alert being sent and see if that gets the others through. BI sends them fast, so the email or mobile provider could be thinking it is a spamming event. Or if you have two cameras that basically trigger at the same time, add a break time first. Usually 1000 ms is enough for providers to not consider it spam.

I have found that generally the email provider and mobile provider play better if there are not lots of messages going out in rapid fire as that is probably what is kicking in the "spam".

I don't need a text every time a vehicle drives by or someone walks on the public sidewalk LOL.

But at some point it will be an issue with SMS alerts coming from an automated system. So I went to push notifications.

It is best to cough up the $10 for the BI app for push notifications or $5 for the pushover app to send you pictures via push.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
All good info given here. I tried all of these tips and got my false alerts down to nearly zero, but damn Verizon still sent that 2am stray cat alert on my porch at 1 pm the next day. Even with a low volume of alerts. Like @wittaj and @TonyR says, you are best pushing your alerts versus texting them.

The only reason I don't push to the BI app is because images can only be seen if you are vpn'd into your server. Pushover doesn't require this.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I went to Pushover because of the delays with SMS and email alerts. See this thread for a really fast method that even I can make work -

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The $5 pushover app is one of the solutions I provided in my response LOL....and I did so two posts above Jessie's post that you referenced LOL. Have you blocked me :lmao:
No, I don't have you blocked, just passed right over the last line.....my speed reading skills have declined in recent years. :screwy:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I figured lol. I tend to write a wall of text that gets passed over lol. I write a book and @sebastiantombs says the same thing in two sentences lol
I hear ya.
Part of my job was to write plans & specs for engineering projects and also technical articles for troubleshooting equipment, all things that require VERY specific details. Consequently, by habit I tend to be verbose although in recent years I have improved, I think. Retiring in '04 has helped. :cool:

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, many threads here with issues by mobile carriers and getting restrictive and making things like this SPAM.

Keep in mind at any time a mobile carrier could consider it spam too and limit or block it if too many emails are being sent at once.

If you haven't done it, I would suggest you work on motion settings to knock out almost all false triggers. BI sending 12 emails or MMS at once will probably redflag most providers.

When I first started they were sporadic or late due to sending so many that ended up being false OR I really didn't need the alert (live every car driving by), but as I dialed in my system, the results are almost instantaneous and consistent now. But even with how few I have it sending now, it still happens.

As I have got more comfortable with my system and its capabilities, I have configured it to only send me text messages for violations of my "personal space".

If you are having text messages go to more than one person at once, then in the alerts, add a break time in between each email/text Alert being sent and see if that gets the others through. BI sends them fast, so the email or mobile provider could be thinking it is a spamming event. Or if you have two cameras that basically trigger at the same time, add a break time first. Usually 1000 ms is enough for providers to not consider it spam.

I have found that generally the email provider and mobile provider play better if there are not lots of messages going out in rapid fire as that is probably what is kicking in the "spam".

I don't need a text every time a vehicle drives by or someone walks on the public sidewalk LOL.

But at some point it will be an issue with SMS alerts coming from an automated system. So I went to push notifications.

It is best to cough up the $10 for the BI app for push notifications or $5 for the pushover app to send you pictures via push.
Where to you find the option in the BI app?

I already have the BI app just need to figure out how to set it up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go into the alerts section in BI on the computer and instead of telling it to send a text message, tell it to send a push notification.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go into the alerts section in BI on the computer and instead of telling it to send a text message, tell it to send a push notification.
ok got it but it seems limited. I'll look into the other option.