Bi5 AMD support

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With the new release of bi5 is AMD any better?

Looking to build a new blueiris server possibly and have been looking at Ryzen.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi BP. Thank you for your post So I am thinking of getting a PC possibly next year so in couple of months possibly.. I know I will be pushing 1500 + MP/s load soon

So I should consider AMD ? And possibly even like thread ripper or stick to Ryzen 9 3950x ?

I first wanted to wait until new intel processor for a year but after reading your post It sounds like it maybe even worth to go with AMD

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have most of a 3950x build gathering dust waiting for the CPU to be sold. Although it is not for Blue Iris, I do intend to give Blue Iris a try on it so I can get a feel for the limits and power consumption. I should know more in a month, but right now I would certainly consider a Ryzen 9 3950x for 1500+ MP/s. A similarly performing Threadripper build is likely to cost significantly more, so I probably wouldn't recommend that, but we'll see.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, @crw030 and @tech101 that record was one of mine when I was testing out the 3950x. Ryzen 3950x for Blue Iris

Sadly, the 1919 MP/s shown there was the highest I was able to push it, due to memory bandwidth limits I believe.
Interesting. So You need more RAM ? To do more MP/s ? like 1900 or above ? Seem like at 1919 it was around 35 % which is good right ? I am guessing ? Or is there any other CPU limit that We need to be aware of. Once again thank you so much @bp2008 for testing this really appricieate it. I will need to build a new PC soon so Want to see if I Should go with AMD Or stick with intel or wait a while.. Like I can probaly stick another couple of months or may be more.. if something better is on horizon since I will be pushing 1500 + mp/s load.

Reaction score
Not exactly @tech101 , @bp2008 was unable to exceed 1919 MP/s in his testing, on that overkill Ryzen CPU, so his best guess is that memory BANDWIDTH was the limitation he was hitting. If you search "your_processor memory bandwidth", you can usually find that regular desktop CPU's typically have dual-memory controllers (i7-9700k , 3950x) but the Intel Extreme Edition, and AMD Threadripper chips have quad with ultra-high-end (AMD Epyc & Intel Xeon) have (4-8) memory channels.

Right now I think its mostly an "educated guess" because there just aren't a lot of data points at that extremely high end that don't also include high end graphics cards..

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My 1919 MP/s test that reached 35% CPU load was with the GUI open on a 4K monitor, with the live preview frame rate unrestricted. It was actually 19% CPU with the GUI closed.

So at this point I am pretty sure you could get to the same MP/s load on a 3700X or similar CPU with only 8 cores (If using the same or better memory speed/configuration). An i9-9900K from Intel should also do fine, and offer Quick Sync, but it would cost more and might not end up actually being more energy-efficient.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
My 1919 MP/s test that reached 35% CPU load was with the GUI open on a 4K monitor, with the live preview frame rate unrestricted. It was actually 19% CPU with the GUI closed.

So at this point I am pretty sure you could get to the same MP/s load on a 3700X or similar CPU with only 8 cores (If using the same or better memory speed/configuration). An i9-9900K from Intel should also do fine, and offer Quick Sync, but it would cost more and might not end up actually being more energy-efficient.

Thank you @bp2008 so with this said. You think i9 9900k is still better but will cost more ? Where AMD 3700x or similar will cost less.. and will still be okay under this kind of load ? Thank you !!

I know 990KS is also out but it is only slightly faster..

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So far seems like AMD will be okay for 1500 mps load.. Then.. Interesting .. And like you said CPU was only about 19 % without GUI .. That is nice !

I guess with this processor I can even do live streaming to youtube for one of the camera thru BI ... in 4k :D