BI5, how to make remote view "seamless" to the average "joe"?

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this is already asked a ton.

But how do we make this happen? my current set up of having a ddns+airvpn+accessing it remotly is so janky is works 10% of the time due to jankiness of openvpn + vpn config files among other things. How do we make this process seamless? I don't care if it's a paid service. I just want to be able to open an app in my phone and it views BI5 remotely on my phone.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you using airvpn?

The only way I know of to make it one-touch seamless is to use ordinary port forwarding without a VPN server.

Using a VPN server hosted at your own premises is more secure, but way less convenient because every device you connect from needs to be connected to the VPN first.

Paid subscription VPN services are not normally applicable to this scenario because all those do is make your outgoing internet traffic appear to come from somewhere else.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When properly setup, with OpenVPN server on your router, and OpenVPN Connect on your mobile device, it isn't janky at all.
You can use the app Tasker on your mobile device to automate when OpenVPN connects to your server or just start it and leave it running.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Brah, where were you x years ago god damn.

When properly setup, with OpenVPN server on your router, and OpenVPN Connect on your mobile device, it isn't janky at all.
You can use the app Tasker on your mobile device to automate when OpenVPN connects to your server or just start it and leave it running.
Sadly, VPNs are just "beyond" my level of comprehension right now. I can setup keys and shit but servers and stuff just nah. Not yet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I you have a modern router, Asus or some Netgear models, the VPN server is built right into them. Configuration is point and click, then just add users, export the client file and import it to the phone, tablet or even a PC.