BI5 % Wins10 and new desktop HP

Sicard

n3wb
Reaction score
12/5/2019
Hi All, Happy Holidays. Ok I been a Blue Iris user for a long time with little issues. I was running BI4 and windows 7 with BI4 it in the startup folder when system booted also Norton Security Virus. Along with my Samsung Android with blue iris app to keep track of house when gone. Worked Great. But then win 7 is half in the grave with no support after Jan 2020, so had to migrate up to new HP system with Win 10. I added Norton 360 software. in a nut shell is everything is great, BUT I cannot connect to my blue iris on my Samsung android. I can if i come in the house and phone connects to the home wifi, but anytime I am on the 4 or 5g is says it cannot connect. run the connection wizard and it fails on the open port to the internet, the canyouseeme thing. well thinking it was my firewall Norton came in and took it all down and tried but same thing. so they feel its not them, So where to now is my question to all of you. been on this way to long to not having it working. So HELP PLEASE! Router? I really don't know what to do at this point. Only change has ben the new HP computer with wins 10 cell all the same and internet and router the same. Thanks Gary

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My first couple of guesses at what may be the issue...

IP address of Win 10 is not same as Win 7, therefore connection via cellular is not finding new BI server
Port not configured as before on Win 7, therefore router and system firewalls are not letting external traffic to reach new BI server

====
Checklist to review

1) having the Win 7 'retired', did you re-use the same IP address for the new Win 10 system?

if not, with Win 7 turned off (and left off) change Win 10's IP address. Alternative if Win 7 is needed, change its IP address to something else and reboot Win 7 before changing Win 10 address​

2) did you configure BI to use the same port number as before; i.e. 192.168.1.x:####

use same port number as before, enter on BI's Web server tab​

3) within the firewall, presumably Norton 360, did you "open" the #### port

allow port through firewall on BI server; using same IP address and port as before the router should be fine as-is​

4) on Android, are you using a browser or BI's application

5) when attempting to connect on cellular, are you using OpenVPN, Stunnel, other, or no additional security

6) are you using some type of dynamic DNS to resolve to your router; has your ISP provided a new/different IP address than before?

===========
===========

If everything was working 'before' and the only change was the introduction of the new BI server, the must be a configuration setting on the new BI server which is different than before. The one exception, that i can think of at the moment, is if your ISP address has changed.

Sicard

n3wb
Reaction score

IP address of Win 10 is not same as Win 7, therefore connection via cellular is not finding new BI server
Port not configured as before on Win 7, therefore router and system firewalls are not letting external traffic to reach new BI server

====
Checklist to review

1) having the Win 7 'retired', did you re-use the same IP address for the new Win 10 system?

if not, with Win 7 turned off (and left off) change Win 10's IP address. Alternative if Win 7 is needed, change its IP address to something else and reboot Win 7 before changing Win 10 address​

2) did you configure BI to use the same port number as before; i.e. 192.168.1.x:####

allow port through firewall on BI server; using same IP address and port as before the router should be fine as-is​

5) when attempting to connect on cellular, are you using OpenVPN, Stunnel, other, or no additional security

6) are you using some type of dynamic DNS to resolve to your router; has your ISP provided a new/different IP address than before?

===========
===========

If everything was working 'before' and the only change was the introduction of the new BI server, the must be a configuration setting on the new BI server which is different than before. The one exception, that i can think of at the moment, is if your ISP address has changed.
Hi , ty for writing. What I did was moved most of misc stuff Picts, documents. as for the Blue Iris I released the cert as instructed and reinstalled the main program from a new down loaded blue iris from the BI site. I did how ever had backed up the main program and the configuration of the 5 cameras. then I configured it to be a service that lets it run in the background without the visual console showing, and see my alerts on my phone, BUT there is the issue, it works if its signed on to my wifi, but not on 4g. if i look at the app and my router the addresses are correct, its just the port that the android goes to be accepted and exchange info and stuff is not even being seen. when I run the web server

====
Checklist to review

===========
===========

Sicard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi , ty for writing. What I did was moved most of misc stuff Picts, documents. as for the Blue Iris I released the cert as instructed and reinstalled the main program from a new down loaded blue iris from the BI site. I did how ever had backed up the main program and the configuration of the 5 cameras. then I configured it to be a service that lets it run in the background without the visual console showing, and see my alerts on my phone, BUT there is the issue, it works if its signed on to my wifi, but not on 4g. if i look at the app and my router the addresses are correct, its just the port that the android goes to be accepted and exchange info and stuff is not even being seen. when I run the web server remote access wizard it hangs on the part of checking the port says it can't see it. so i'm not sure why. I appolgize for the not to clear reply its been a very long week here and this computer cut over has taken its toll on me. I may uninstall the program and then manually install it with out use the exported files and see what happens. but dont stop with suggestions pls. I will try to answer this tomorrow of your questions. Im beat headed to bed.

Sicard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I got up today and didn’t take a single look at the computer . after days of trying to migrate in from win 7 to Window 10 and all the issues I have had and not just Blue Iris I just had to get away from.for the day. I sat down at 10 pm and restarted started another install of Blue iris 5, took a different approach this time as if i was a new newbie , install from scratch and worked the main part as I tracked the tracked my numbers and BAM found the issue.Turned out to be a port forwarding issue in the router. YEAH I all up and android working well.

Thanks for the suggestions

Gary

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I got up today and didn’t take a single look at the computer . after days of trying to migrate in from win 7 to Window 10 and all the issues I have had and not just Blue Iris I just had to get away from.for the day. I sat down at 10 pm and restarted started another install of Blue iris 5, took a different approach this time as if i was a new newbie , install from scratch and worked the main part as I tracked the tracked my numbers and BAM found the issue.Turned out to be a port forwarding issue in the router. YEAH I all up and android working well.

Thanks for the suggestions

Gary
DO NOT port forward. Study this: VPN Primer for Noobs | IP Cam Talk
And this: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

Sicard

n3wb
Reaction score
ok will read on it. But did what BI5 wizard said to do, it was something I had to do manually in my router, then got green arrow and all seems to work fine.

Sicard

n3wb
Reaction score
woooo just stuck in there.. way past my pay scale of knowledge... thanks but I will not understand all that. just keeping it honest.