BIG Owl on my Trail

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice box! I couldn't cut a straight piece of wood with a robot and a laser, so I bought mine from the Ojai Raptor Center:

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I built this last year for the Barred owls. Barn owls will use it as well.
Before I zoomed in on the lumber cutout diagram, I thought it was going to be a floor plan. I was thinking man, this barn own has a more rooms in his box than my apartment!

Last edited:

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put my Amcrest turret cam up yesterday for my nesting Great horned owls! Iam elated about my great footage of my owls this morning. I'm not sure how to set the audio settings yet. Here's this morning's videos. The Dahua is by my roof eve and the second is the Amcrest turret cam looking down into the barrel. The male flies in first and the male does some gular calls, and you can hear the female calling from afar. The male's hoot is much lower sounding than the female. The female joins him on the barrel rim, and they hoot back and forth. Then the male flies off. Here's the Dahua: and here's the Amcrest turret cam: enjoy! Here's my live view cams- www.okiebirdcam.com

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got that set up pretty well now.

Which cams are you using there again? The Amcrest 5MP?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
TrailUp and TrailDown are IP5M-T1179EW-28MM. LowerStair is IP5M-B1186EW-28MM. I bought a few of the bullets before I figured out that they don't have audio :facepalm:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought so but wasn't sure. Those Amcrest cams are better than the specs would suggest. I have a couple too. For the money you really can't beat them.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thought so but wasn't sure. Those Amcrest cams are better than the specs would suggest. I have a couple too. For the money you really can't beat them.
Firmware needs work. My eyeballs need daily rebooting or else they become unresponsive. My latest camera is unresponsive even after rebooting it twice. I may have to do a factory reset :facepalm:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen some others say they have various problems with them. Mine have been fine as far as that kind of thing goes. Not a single issue that I can remember. Cheap cams, QA/QC may not be all that great. Image-wise they're good.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen some others say they have various problems with them. Mine have been fine as far as that kind of thing goes. Not a single issue that I can remember. Cheap cams, QA/QC may not be all that great. Image-wise they're good.
Oh, for sure. Despite their minor issues, I keep buying them :)