big price difference with same sensor???

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are 2 different series of cameras representing different features.

The 2231 is from the Lite series (budget camera) so it doesn't have AI and the processor/firmware is weaker than in the 5241 that has AI built-in and the LUX specs are a lot better in the 5241 (0.002 Lux@F1.6 (Color, 30 IRE) versus 0.0007 lux@F1.6 (Color, 30 IRE)

While sensor size does come into play, what the camera does with the firmware to process the image comes into play as well.

That is why we don't recommend Reolink, not even their 1/2.8" 2MP camera with Starlight sensors (same that some Dahua's have) because their algorithm/firmware is designed around a nice bright static image, but motion is a blur.

This is an example from Reolink's marketing videos of their Starlight camera - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1697071403754.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Last edited:

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are 2 different series of cameras representing different features.

The 2231 is from the Lite series (budget camera) so it doesn't have AI and the processor/firmware is weaker than in the 5241 that has AI built-in and the LUX specs are a lot better in the 5241 (0.002 Lux@F1.6 (Color, 30 IRE) versus 0.0007 lux@F1.6 (Color, 30 IRE)

While sensor size does come into play, what the camera does with the firmware to process the image comes into play as well.

That is why we don't recommend Reolink, not even their 1/2.8" 2MP camera with Starlight sensors (same that some Dahua's have) because their algorithm/firmware is designed around a nice bright static image, but motion is a blur.

This is an example from Reolink's marketing videos of their Starlight camera - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

View attachment 174560

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you
How can I know how good a camera's processor is? What should I pay attention to?

Thank you very much for the answers.

i am loking the best dahua camera under 100$ and 2mp, only for day vision

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
And better AI. Better IR with 50' illumination vs 30'. 4GB RAM and ROM vs 128 in the 2231. Alarm outputs

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If all you really care about is day video, then the 2231 will be fine, except the 2231 doesn't have AI if that is important to you to eliminate false triggers.

Heck dare I say Reolink is fine if all you care about is daytime image LOL. They can produce a nice day image. But if you want any quality at night, then forget about it.

Darn near anything can do well in the daytime. But if you need night time, forget it.

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If all you really care about is day video, then the 2231 will be fine, except the 2231 doesn't have AI if that is important to you to eliminate false triggers.

Heck dare I say Reolink is fine if all you care about is daytime image LOL. They can produce a nice day image. But if you want any quality at night, then forget about it.
reolink dont work fine with blue iris, have lag and issues.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just buy the ~$50-ish 5MP Amcrest if you don't care about AI or great low-light capabilities.
Those Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW's work very well and not awfull with IR at night. The only thing that I do not like is their plastic bodies and locking mechanism. After 3 years mine are still ticking along. Priced at $59.xx now but frequently sell for $50.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Those Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW's work very well and not awfull with IR at night. The only thing that I do not like is their plastic bodies and locking mechanism. After 3 years mine are still ticking along. Priced at $59.xx now but frequently sell for $50.
Yeah, mine have been fine for their purpose too. For the money, I have no complaints. Actually they're better than I'd expected. I have one watching a small porch, one watching a door, and one watching inside of a shed. No better cams that I'd put in those locations would give me much if any better results.

They have a new one now that seems a little better with AI at the same price. Haven't tried that one:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
reolink dont work fine with blue iris, have lag and issues.
If you're using BI then use CPAI instead. No need for in camera AI. That said, I'd look at the recommended camera list. There were a couple of Dahua below $100 in there that do great day and night. Just don't expect bells and whistles or the best picture compared to a 5442 or 4kt/x.