Big Thanks from Administrators-Cam Geeks on IPCamTalk

Larry Ray

n3wb
Reaction score
Looney2ns

Yesterday I watched by RA as a real IP camera geek turned my el-cheapo IP cam upside down, sideways, and round and round trying to get it to display video. I mean he worked long and hard and didn’t want to give up even when the RA time expired. When the updated firmware didn’t work I suggested that he had done his very best and encouraged him to the best of my ability and all of my senior years of living and learning that all that one can do only so much.

My evaluation is that the two Foscams that I have should be used as boat anchors. Even though I received over three years of wifi service out of them, had reset them umpteen times, and purchased about 6 power supplies for them.

It is still true. You get what you pay for, and I am still having trouble learning that truth. If anyone reading this is interested in security cameras, spend more and buy good ones that are recommended by the real knowledgeable a skilled camera geeks who are running this forum.

Thanks again Looney2ns for all that you did, and also to the other geeks that gave advice and suggestions. I am most impressed with (all of you) your tech skill and knowledge of IP cameras and your perseverance on helping someone on the forums. It meant a great deal to me.

Larry Ray

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the life expectancy out of camera's? I am going with the Dahua Starlights you guys recommended.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the life expectancy out of camera's? I am going with the Dahua Starlights you guys recommended.
It's very variable, I do have mostly Axis cameras running for more than 10 years now, one died 2 years ago (camera is showing web interface but no more video streaming/snapshot).

And usually it is the power transformer that die before the camera itself and this part can be replaced easy (unless it also blow the camera at the same time).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would guess that close by lightning strikes are their biggest enemy, next to getting too hot. Or other surges. Be sure to put your poe switch and NVR on good surge protection. Best bet is to use a UPS battery back up for both.