Bit of layman on Motion/Object detection

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Regarding BI4.latest,

In order to use Object "Zone Crossing", I assume I need to enable "Use zones and hot spot"? Is this correct?

upload_2019-6-6_15-18-57.png

I'm finding that if I do enable Zone Crossing, I'm getting a mixture of Zone Crossing and normal Motion triggering the camera.

Should I tick "Use Zones and Hot Spot", define the Zones, and then uncheck it? Or does Object Detection override Motion? Or will Zone & Motion always work together.

Im just confused.

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's fully explained in the help.

Under 'use zones and hot spot' define your zones, more than one. Eg Zone A is your driveway, zone B is the street.
Then under 'object detection' check the box beside 'object crosses zones' and define how you want it to work (eg A-B (two way), A>B, B>A).

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's fully explained in the help.

Under 'use zones and hot spot' define your zones, more than one. Eg Zone A is your driveway, zone B is the street.
Then under 'object detection' check the box beside 'object crosses zones' and define how you want it to work (eg A-B (two way), A>B, B>A).
I've read the manual, and watched many videos. As per the screenshot above, this is how I have it defined.

The problem I'm facing is that, I'm still getting false triggers, purely on "motion" (I'm assuming) that is not crossing the Zones as requested.

I'm guessing it's motion, based on the blue squares when "Testing via Playback". An object is signified by a Green Square, going Red when threshold is met?

upload_2019-6-6_15-33-31.png

upload_2019-6-6_15-53-43.png

My understanding of my Config is that, and Object of "200" (presume pixels) or more, that moves for more than 0.7 seconds when moving 200px inside/across Zones A to B, or A to C, or B to C. Will trigger an event.

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your defined zones are not adjacent to one another so you'll need to add a zone that covers the entire image but don't include it in your rules...this way BI will track motion occurring between zones when an object moves between zones (BI will stop tracking where no zone is defined, i.e. between your zones shown above). A different solution would be to connect your zones above by ensuring the zones are adjacent to one another with no undefined space showing. I like the first option better because if you play back a clip with the test run video with motion detection, you'll see the entire image while viewing the clip rather than just the area where zones are defined). Of course even if you use the second option you could add a zone that covers the entire image (without adding that zone to your rules) for no other reason than to be able to see the entire image while playing back a clip using the test run video with motion detection.