BIT Web Service Monitor Watchdog

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Mike. Perhaps I've overlooked a setting, but it appears the the BIT Web Service Monitor Watchdog always restarts the Blue Iris application when it fails to detect the web service after a number of attempts.

Would it be possible to have an option for Web Service Monitor Watchdog to restart only the Blue Iris service?

The reason I ask is that I am randomly experiencing high cpu usage with the app running full screen, which is what happens after any of the watchdogs restart the app.

Thanks.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike. Perhaps I've overlooked a setting, but it appears the the BIT Web Service Monitor Watchdog always restarts the Blue Iris application when it fails to detect the web service after a number of attempts.

Would it be possible to have an option for Web Service Monitor Watchdog to restart only the Blue Iris service?

The reason I ask is that I am randomly experiencing high cpu usage with the app running full screen, which is what happens after any of the watchdogs restart the app.

Thanks.
BIT will launch BI in whatever state is set in BI. So if it's set to run as a service in BI then BIT will launch it as a service. If BI is opening to the GUI then that is most likely BI. I have noticed that if there is an issue with running as a service then BI will launch the GUI.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have the setting 'Run as a Windows Service' checked.

Here's what I'm seeing...
  • I close the app.
  • I open cmd.exe and run 'net stop BlueIris'
  • I observe the service stop.
  • After a delay, BIT restarts Blue Iris. This restarts the service, but also opens the UI.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
When I replicate this BI starts the same way both times, not as a service and minimized to my system tray. I believe if BI is closed as a service improperly it is launched in GUI mode. Can anyone else confirm that?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It seems (for me anyway) that the BI Options>Startup>Run as a Windows Service setting applies only on machine startup.

I'm not convinced that using Window's built-in commands to stop a service (i.e., 'net stop') should be considered "improper".

You can also experiment with the service using Windows 'services.msc' GUI (screenshot below).
With the BI desktop app closed, when I use this GUI to stop, then restart the Blue Iris service, the BI app GUI is not opened.
With the BI desktop app open, when I use this GUI to stop the Blue Iris service, both the BI service and BI app are terminated.

I've emailed Ken.

bi service.png

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Mike.

Ken replied today as follows...

"Yes, if you double-click the icon from Windows, the software will start the service if it's not already running, and then start the console. If your intention is start the service without the console, just reboot the PC, or start it from the Windows Service Manager."

I believe this aligns with my observations above.

Would you consider adding an option to have the Web Server Monitor Watchdog execute "net start BlueIris" instead of executing "BlueIris.exe".

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I can confirm that what Ken said is true. However this was not the case in the past. I remember that in the past if the service was not running, then double-clicking BlueIrisAdmin.exe only started the service, and you had to double-click again to start the GUI/console. Now, one double-click opens both.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike.

Ken replied today as follows...

"Yes, if you double-click the icon from Windows, the software will start the service if it's not already running, and then start the console. If your intention is start the service without the console, just reboot the PC, or start it from the Windows Service Manager."

I believe this aligns with my observations above.

Would you consider adding an option to have the Web Server Monitor Watchdog execute "net start BlueIris" instead of executing "BlueIris.exe".
Wow, this is def something new. I'll see what I can do for this, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Also, by improper I meant not from the program itself.

Interesting. I can confirm that what Ken said is true. However this was not the case in the past. I remember that in the past if the service was not running, then double-clicking BlueIrisAdmin.exe only started the service, and you had to double-click again to start the GUI/console. Now, one double-click opens both.
Agree, when I designed the web server watchdog this is how it worked. I wonder why the change

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder why the change
I would guess that Ken got too many complaints from people saying they had to open Blue Iris twice before it appeared! (whether those people knew what was going on or not)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BI's user interface and help file both still indicate the previous behavior. I suppose I'll let Ken know.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On second thought, I think the checkbox and help file still make sense with the current behavior. Mostly.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there...
Might the change (Ken’s) align with a Microsoft best practice or guideline?

Last edited:

Bapski

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
also following.

ive noticed this occurrence more recently. even with me disabling the BIT option to monitor BI APP FREEZE.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
also following.

ive noticed this occurrence more recently. even with me disabling the BIT option to monitor BI APP FREEZE.
This issue has been resolved in BIT 1.3.3 (which is in beta right now) and will be released soon. Make sure to have auto-update turned on :)

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@Bapski here it is working for you so you don't have to wait until the next update. Just replace Blue Iris Tools.exe in your BIT directory with the one in this zip.

Attachments

Bapski

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Bapski here it is working for you so you don't have to wait until the next update. Just replace Blue Iris Tools.exe in your BIT directory with the one in this zip.
thanks. will try this as soon as i get home.

Bapski

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hmm.. seems like im still catching my BI app OPEN every time i check my BI server.

im on B.I.T 1.3.2. do i have the correct CURRENT version?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, is there a way to set the BIT automatically start after windows logged on? I know it can be done however the BIT requires admin right and my desktop is logged on as a non-admin user so it always prompts windows admin password. Can BIT run as non-admin also launch BI in non-admin?

I've checked the option "Close BI before opening it". At least in one instance, I quit BIT while BI console is still running, then re-launching BIT tells me it's already running in the taskbar yet it's not there nor is it in the task monitor list. I had to reboot the PC to open BIT again which it started the BI. Do you advise don't use the "Close BI before open..." option?
The "Close BI before opening it" is for Blue Iris, not Blue Iris Tools. That option will close / kill BI then launch if it any of the Watchdog's are triggered.

The only thing I suggest is removing the popup that comes up when you launch BIT by adjusting your security settings, that will get rid of that issue. Make sense?