Bitrate Advice

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Exposure (and IR at night) is what gets you a nice sharp image.
VBR does not skip frames. it just allows more compression if/when it can be applied.
I run my LPR cams at VBR 10FPS and have never felt like i've missed anything.
Cars go by up to 40mph or more on our residential street and i always get a plate...
Thanks for the explanation. I don’t actually have a LPR camera. I was asking about using VBR for my other cameras. I’m currently testing VBR out on one of my cameras now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I did some testing this afternoon with VBR vs CBR and I wanted to share the snapshots of each. VBR was set to best quality setting and a max bitrate of 6,144. CBR was set to a bitrate of 6,144. To me the CBR image looks more vivid and crisp. I have the associated videos too, but I figured that a comparison between snapshots would suffice. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
interesting. the lighting was certainly different, but i do see more detail in the CBR shot.
also note the difference in size of the jpg's, hinting at more data in the CBR image...

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
interesting. the lighting was certainly different, but i do see more detail in the CBR shot.
also note the difference in size of the jpg's, hinting at more data in the CBR image...
I didn't notice about the file size difference, great point :) I'm not sure how much the light change played into it. Maybe more testing is underway.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much the light change played into it. Maybe more testing is underway.
There was a time change >1hr between the 2 pics. Maybe less cloud cover on CBR pic. More light = better pic. Lots more testing, a little more quantitative.

Last edited: