Bitrate for 2MP with h265?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wondering if maxing out my bitrate is necessary or is it overkill?

I have mine set at 6144 KB on constant bitrate (CBR) at 1080P with H265 encoding. I only have 4 2mp cameras and a 4tb drive so I have plenty of space but at the same time, I feel the more recording I have the better.

Thoughts?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Why constant bit rate? Is that specific to your camera? In general, VBR works well on cameras, dynamically adjusting bit rate consumed to maintain quality level assigned.

6Mb/s is higher than average for what we see in testing various cameras but it depends on the frame rate, scene complexity, manufacturer being used, etc.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why constant bit rate? Is that specific to your camera? In general, VBR works well on cameras, dynamically adjusting bit rate consumed to maintain quality level assigned.

6Mb/s is higher than average for what we see in testing various cameras but it depends on the frame rate, scene complexity, manufacturer being used, etc.
I just assumed CBR was better, I am unsure of how VBR works. My scene is pretty static for the most part. By that I mean I do not live on a busy street therefore not a lot of fast cars going by, random door knockers etc. I have dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z .

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting read and demo video! On the dahua settings screenshot the Quality was covered but I assume "best" is what I should have it set at under VBR?

BitRate.png

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Quality is ultimately a personal preference but, from our testing, 6 would likely be wasting bandwidth/storage relative to the visible quality gains it delivers. Manufacturers map the quality scale to a quantization scale for the compressor and we found 4 was already quite low relative to other manufacturers. See our test report unlocked here IP Camera Manufacturer Compression Comparison