Bizarre world of Hikvision firmware

Saracen

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2132-I mounted in the garden to monitor hedgehog activity.

Last week I saw that there appeared to be a new version of the firmware available and, having forgotten the pain I went through the last time I did that, I upgraded it :rolleyes:

Long story short I ended up with the "incorrect language" issue. Having used the various stickys here I relearnt the method of TFTPing an image back on and then hacking it to get English back as an option.

The current situation is that the camera is back to 5.2.0, which is what I think it was on before, but the night vision quality is appalling. Day time it is fine.

At night, unless I have the exposure time set to 1/6 I get nothing but sparkles, but then any actual activity shows up as a blur. I've tried changing things like WDR and DNR but, although they change things, it's never really useable.

I also have a DS-2CD2032-I in a workshop, which is also running 5.2.0 and is so clear at night I can read the labels on the shelves. I've tried mirroring the settings between the two cameras but this dome just won't play ball.

I had started to wonder if the IR system was failing but looking back through threads on here it appears that some people have had the same night vision quality issues and they fixed them by flashing a different version, then back to their original.

If I do this, is there anything I mustn't touch, that will cause these symptoms at night ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot compare a camera mounted indoors where IR easily reflects off walls to a camera mounted outdoors.
Disable wdr.