Black and white with built in ir off

Reaction score
Hi

Just looking for some advice.
I have a camera setup recording to blue iris on motion detection which I have managed to setup fairly well to minimise false alerts, I am planning on buying a seperate ir light to try to stop the only false alerts I get now which are only at night.
Because the ir is built in to the camera and positioned around the lens it causes insects, heavy rain and probably snow when it starts to reflect brightly when infront of the lens which causes triggers.

I am able to turn the ir off on the camera but I am wondering if this will also stop the image from turning black and white in low light still once a seperate source of ir is used as the camera will not know when to change from colour when it gets dark?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a cam with both its internal IR and an external IR source on. It's 4:57 PM Central in US of A, 21:57 UTC so dark is about an hour from now.
I'll try turning off its internal IR and get back to you, maybe you'll already have another answer by then but we'll see.

Reaction score
I have a cam with both its internal IR and an external IR source on. It's 4:57 PM Central in US of A, 21:57 UTC so dark is about an hour from now.
I'll try turning off its internal IR and get back to you, maybe you'll already have another answer by then but we'll see.
Hi,

Thanks for the response, did you get a chance to try this? If so what was the result?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My cams only switch over to IR when there's not enough ambient light (natural or artificial--but not IR). The opposite is also true and blasting external-only IR does not prevent the camera from auto switching to B&W or color--ambient light dictates this.

On board or nearby IR lights won't prevent a camera equipped with a IR cut filter from switching over to B&W. I don't think the cut filter's design allows it to sense the IR--only light that's visible to the human eye. Of course if your camera is equipped with software to hold the camera in a certain state, that'll give a user more options (keep a camera in B&W during the day or color at night).

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the response, did you get a chance to try this? If so what was the result?
Internal IR is off, using photoelectric cell -controlled external IR, cam set to "auto", when sun rose and there was enough light, cam went to full color.
I only have 1 cam that will have color at night with no IR and that's because of flag lighting. It's an Amcrest IP2M-841 sitting behind window.

Reaction score
Thanks for this.

I wonder if mine will do the same if I am to set the IR to off, instead of auto.
As far as I can tell turning the IR setting to off means that the IR lights do not come on but I am still unsure as to if the camera switches to black and white.

1572360816039.png

This is the setting options I have, I guess I won't know until I buy the IR light and try it for myself.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your cam will go to color when the sun rises...doesn't matter if you have IR set to auto, on or off. That is unless you have an option elsewhere to keep it in B&W mode. Likewise, your cam will go to B&W regardless of your IR setting at night...unless you have an option to keep it in color mode.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your cam will go to color when the sun rises...doesn't matter if you have IR set to auto, on or off. That is unless you have an option elsewhere to keep it in B&W mode. Likewise, your cam will go to B&W regardless of your IR setting at night...unless you have an option to keep it in color mode.
Yep.
Like mine, most allow the IR to be turned off but that's all it controls, and If it's dark enough and there's no other light source, no picture of any kind, B/W or color.