Black screen when switching from 2*2 on 4K 7604 NVR

Sxx

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had problems with my 7604NI-K1/4P with two 4K 2085s particularly video stuttering but more frustrating I would lose the video on one camera when switching from the 2*2 screen to single screen mode. This happened after enabling the 265+ option for recording but stuttering also occurred in 265 mode. Searching the web didn't turn up a solution but there has been much talk of reducing bit rates and frame rates. Yesterday I updated my cameras to V5.5.61 and NVR to 3.4.98, don't quote me on those numbers but they were the latest firmware available on the Europen portal. But - the problems were still there. Tonight I seem to have solved the problem. The issue appears to be caused by the sub stream bit rates. So if the main stream is set to 265+ mode but the sub stream is set to 264, the sub-stream produces far more bits than the main stream. This seems to cause the hardware problems trying to decode the 265+ stream. Check what your sub stream is outputting, and reduce it and use 265 - not the main stream data or frame rates. Also remember the NVR settings override the camera settings e.g. frame rates. The 265+ bit rates are amazingly low !! I have set my sub stream to 2 fps, I don't use remote monitoring on mobile devices. I can now ramp up frame rates for recording the main stream and with no stutter and no problems switching from the 2*2 screen

Last edited:

Sxx

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies I take it all back, this morning the problem reappeared I.e. The black screen when changing from the multi screen view. I can reset the camera then all is ok. I have recorded for days in 265 mode without problem. 265+ seems to be problematic. Does anyone have an answer to these problems, they seem quite a common issue.

Pierrre

n3wb
Reaction score
Only installed a couple of 4K systems but I ended up just using 265, the 265+ seemed to cause more problems than it was worth, stuttering playback , artifacts left on screen etc. I do cause myself some problems by recording at 1fps 24hrs but full frame on motion , sometimes the motion just doesnt work.