Blimp Cam Idea?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box, wondering about an IP camera tethered to the bottom of a helium balloon large enough to lift the payload and maybe 100' of cat5 outdoor cable. The cable would be grounded, and provisioned via a garden hose winch. The camera would have PTZ features, but wouldn't be usable on a windy day. Not very practical technically (and socially), but has anything like this been discussed or tried before? I work with our local neighborhood watch program, and am interested in expanding my view from beyond my own home.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
You could use 4 conductor cable, not the typical 8 conductor cable.
eg: Frankever 2 Pairs Black Pull Box Utp Cat5e Lan Cable - Buy Utp Cat5e Lan Cable,Utp Cable,Network Cable Product on Alibaba.com

This would cut cable weight in half.
The ip traffic is on 2 pairs (Tx, Rx) ((except Gb ip, which uses 4 pairs. Fortunately, the ip cams aren't Gb)
You'd want to use a poe cam. I think the 48V is on the Tx and Rx pairs, not the other two pairs. But you should confirm...

Another thought;
I've seen small blimps used in indoor football stadiums. They have fans for steering the blimp. The ability to orient the balloon might be handy.

A drone could be used, and powered by a lanyard cable (instead of battery powered). It could remain airborn longer. Socially, not accceptable, noise wise.

Interesting....