Block Hikvision NVR from internet

Erikct

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to ask, if someone did the same I would like to.
So, I have a aDSL router where the Internet starts,then one PC connected to this router with LAN.
Now, I have 7608NXI and would like to watch cams from this PC, which is on Internet, but I would like to keep whole NVR with cams offline from Internet.
My PC has only 1 LAN port, so I can buy a second one, or use LAN to USB reduction and connect NVR to PC this way?
The goal is, I would like whole camera system to be not reachable from Internet, but also two way, so no cam or nvr could ping anyone/anything over Internet.
Easiest plan would be to buy a second monitor and connect it to NVR. But from PC it is easier to check on cams. Also, if that^ could work, I still could watch cams over internet if I would use something like teamviewer to connect to my PC and pretend that I am infront of my PC.
But I am not sure if my PC would not "share" Internet connection over that USB to LAN reduction back to NVR.
Thank you very much for any ideas.
Eric

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The goal is, I would like whole camera system to be not reachable from Internet, but also two way, so no cam or nvr could ping anyone/anything over Internet.
Does your aDSL router have the ability to create outbound blocking rules for devices on the LAN?
If so - that would be the simplest method of achieving what you want.

Erikct

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, thank you, that seems interesting, but I am not 100% sure, and this is what I see in my router settings.
Parental control seems good enough? If I block NVR's mac address?
Or are there better option, please?
If none is good and the router itself is old/bad/weak, I could buy a new one with better functions..

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good range of options to control various types of access.
Parental Control looks ideal.
"Block access to internet" is what you stated you are looking for.

Erikct

n3wb
Reaction score
That was easy then :) Thank you very very much. I just hope it won't find some another way to the internet, for example I will install software to the PC, and then NVR would use PC's mac address to access what it wants..
I also hope from 0.00 to 23.59 is including that 23.59 and it wont go online the last minute of the day :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I just hope it won't find some another way to the internet, for example I will install software to the PC, and then NVR would use PC's mac address to access what it wants..
The NVR isn't a sophisticated hacking device - it's just a recording appliance that may have some security vulnerabilities, that may occasionally report its existence to the manufacturer. You've blocked it, that will be OK.

But unusual software being installed either on purpose or not on the PC is another matter entirely ...