Blocking IP camera from internet - via MAC or IP address?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a "right" way to block IP cameras from internet access? If you block via IP address, do you have to block both the IPv4 and the IPv6? Or does blocking via MAC solve both IPv4 and IPv6?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some folks here block the whole camera part of their network by putting it on a seperate Network interface Card. and assign it like a 10.10.10.xxx numbers. while their Web facing NIC is on something like 192.168.1.xxx going out to the router/modem.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a "right" way to block IP cameras from internet access? If you block via IP address, do you have to block both the IPv4 and the IPv6? Or does blocking via MAC solve both IPv4 and IPv6?
Complete blocks usually are done by MAC for cameras and other devices. Yes, you'd need to do both IPv4 and IPv6, as well as deal with any dynamic IPs, different IPs for wired vs wireless on some devices that have both, etc.

If you were setting up some specific device for particular traffic to/from it, then you might create various firewall rules to selective allow/deny traffic by IP on either side.

Reaction score
Make it a totally separate network that doesn't have a gateway to the internet. Use either a separate VLAN (if you have a managed switch) or buy a separate dumb switch.

Twister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you run through a router, it is simple on most. There is a section on newer ones to block/restrict MAC addresses at will. May be in Advanced settings area. I have a Motorola and can block what I choose on IP or Mac address.

Reaction score
So, it depends on your equipment. For instance with VLANS, some equipment BLOCKS a VLAN from other things on your network, and other allows VLANS and equipment to talk to each other.

if you can list the model of network equipment I’ll see if I can help you.