Blown Out Images

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I replaced a HikVision cam with a 3x more expensive Dahua cam. Even at night the Dahua cam is still showing color images with pretty good detail while the HikVision switched to B/W and is somewhat noisy. Hence, there is definitely an improvement. Having said that, the Dahua cam is completely blowing out/saturating part of the picture (walkway). Granted, the HikVision shows the street really dark while the Dahua shows good details. In any case, are there settings to improve this blown out area? I added two attachments. The B/W image is the HikVision cam and the color one is the Dahua.

Attachments

Reaction score
Have you attempted to adjust the cam's exposure settings or are you using defaults? Is it important to see the light fixtures? Really what is important is what does the view look like with a person walking along the walkway.

Check out this thread:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
As above, play with the exposure. Possibly brightness as well. There may also be an HLC compensation that you can use for that area.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I played with the brightness but the only thing it did is making the good exposed area dark while the blown out are stayed blown out. I googled HLC and it seems that stands for high light compensation. I did go through the camera settings but didn't find HLC or high light compensation. Where can I get to this setting?

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are many Dahua IPC models just like there are many different Samsung phones.
what is the model?
you should check at camera>conditions>backlight try all modes
but not all Dahua models support it.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I played with the brightness but the only thing it did is making the good exposed area dark while the blown out are stayed blown out. I googled HLC and it seems that stands for high light compensation. I did go through the camera settings but didn't find HLC or high light compensation. Where can I get to this setting?
See if it is under conditions-backlight-mode

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah HLC should help and a 1/60 - 1/120 shutter.

One problem folks forget when trying to run color at night, if the ambient light source is in front of the camera, you're going to get a backlight condition, like youre seeing, where the foreground is dark. if it were me, I'd swap those two cameras. Run the HiK in B&W/IR