Blue Iris 100% cpu usage an shutdown issue

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris has occasionally be making the cpu go 100% usage and apparently will eventually shut itself down or I have to shut it down if I'm around when it starts doing it. Thought it was only when runnning as a "service" but went back to starting manually and now it seems it is doing it fairly regularly. In fact this morning I had to restart it after it shutdown sometime in the nite and after it ran for 1/2 hour or less it went into 100% cpu usage. I tried closing it but would not shut down completely so had to go into Task Manager to get it to shut down. I started it back up and seems to be running fine now but it's only been 1/2 hr or so. Running on I7 9th gen. BI version 5.3.7.0 (64 bit) Anyone else having these symptoms ??

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How many cameras? Is the computer used for anything else or running any other programs? You can decrease the CPU usage by reducing the frame rate on the cameras.

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
How many cameras? Is the computer used for anything else or running any other programs? You can decrease the CPU usage by reducing the frame rate on the cameras.
Yes, the computer is used for email and occasionally ebay/ amazon stuff. Usually 11 cameras are active at any given time, especially at nite. I am using substream on cameras and BI usage shows 7%-11% depending on day or nite. Task manager usually shows slightly less CPU usage but then I'm also show 3%-4% GPU usage since I'm using Intel's hardware encoding.

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, using substreams and Intel hardware encoding. Windows 10 running on Dell I7 9th gen. BI version 5.3.7.0 (64 bit)
BI usage shows 7%-11% depending on day or nite. Task manager usually shows slightly less CPU usage but then I'm also show 3%-4% GPU usage since I'm using Intel's hardware encoding.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did Windows update recently - maybe a driver conflict.

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't mean to sound too sarcastic but windows is always updating! I really first noticed this a couple of months ago after I had set it to run as a service and thought that things were fine but then I caught it one day during the day by hearing the cpu fan running like crazy. In checking cpu usage it was running 100% because of BI using 95+%. Now I'm thinking it was doing it before when I wasn't around and if it shutdown it would restart itself since it was set to run as a service. Anyway, I quit running it as a service to see if that was it, but I've notice that in the last week or two BI has shutdown 2 or 3 times, once during the day when I was gone (the cat got blamed since nobody else confessed to it) and then last nite sometime. This happened not more than 2 or 3 days apart. Before this started BI seemed to be very stable. I Could not find any logs in Windows that would tell me when or what happened but realized then that apparently there is something going on in BI itself, hence the inquiry here to see if anyone else had similar symptoms.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um - no you turn off Windows updates like most of us here that have a dedicated BI Machine. And graphics drivers we have permanently prevented an update... I think you have a driver update or something else with an update that is causing this. Look up memory leak here...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Intel Hardware Acceleration is often the culprit behind crashes and other unstable behavior. You could try turning it off to see if that improves stability.

Verify that hardware acceleration is off by looking at the "HA" column in Blue Iris Status window. I means Intel acceleration. - means no acceleration.

If you can determine that Intel HW acceleration is responsible for the bad behavior, you could try upgrading or downgrading the Intel graphics driver version you have installed, and prevent Windows from automatically installing new Intel drivers.

Lastly, if all else fails, Blue Iris Tools can monitor your CPU usage and restart Blue Iris automatically if the CPU usage stays very high for too long.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
update to BI is 5.3.8.17.

Screen shots ....
1) windows system information, may need two shots to get all info.
2) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
3) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then multiple screen shots)
4) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
5) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
6) blue Iris status cameras tab
7) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone. Sorry, I have been pre-occupied with the tax guy today so I couldn't monitor forum. I am one to try to isolate & confirm the issue so I know what's causing it. I will try the hardware acceleration test to see if that will solve the problem so I know if that may be affecting it. If that is causing it, then the upgrade to the next stable version would not fix it, so will take it one step at a time. I thought my current version was supposed to be stable, that's why I'm still on it. (many a time I have found that; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it and that version did fix a recording lapse problem BI was having) it may take some time (usually will act up within a couple of weeks, but like today, only a couple of hours) to test the hardware acceleration theory unless it acts up right away. I will change the hardware acceleration tonite and let it run to see how it acts. (again this may take some patience on my part) If that doesn't seem to fix it, I will upgrade to the next "stable version" and go from there. Again thanks to everyone for your input....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i ended up solving my new systems behavior when i went backward to july 2020 version of BI. I think it began as a memory creep followed by high cpu usage. I did some other settings changes like using default settings for 6 of the cameras which seem happier encoding at H264H. reduced framerates. Researched intel graphics driver versions tried to install a couple but ran into stoppages for driver not being compatible yada yada yada blah blah blah.

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
i ended up solving my new systems behavior when i went backward to july 2020 version of BI. I think it began as a memory creep followed by high cpu usage. I did some other settings changes like using default settings for 6 of the cameras which seem happier encoding at H264H. reduced framerates. Researched intel graphics driver versions tried to install a couple but ran into stoppages for driver not being compatible yada yada yada blah blah blah.
It did seem like BI was very stable back then, I didn't have any problem with missing recordings or shutting down and it would run for weeks. I may try that too but the newer versions do have some fixes/features that would be nice if doesn't cause other problems.

Reaction score
I have 23 cams recording 24/7 and have had BI since 2018. I have Critical and Stable updates turned on. My WIN10 PC downloads updates but will not install them unless BI is shut down and I do a restart. I have never had an issue with BI creeping CPU, shutting down, or anything else. I am using a combination of Intel and Nvidia HA. But all of my cams are using some flavor of H264 not H265. Using CBR at max bit rate on all cams. BI has been Very stable and very reliable.

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 23 cams recording 24/7 and have had BI since 2018. I have Critical and Stable updates turned on. My WIN10 PC downloads updates but will not install them unless BI is shut down and I do a restart. I have never had an issue with BI creeping CPU, shutting down, or anything else. I am using a combination of Intel and Nvidia HA. But all of my cams are using some flavor of H264 not H265. Using CBR at max bit rate on all cams. BI has been Very stable and very reliable.
Have you had problems with H265? at one of their seminars, H265 was recommended for saving bandwidth & was stable and reliable. Suggested staying away from any derivative of H264 other than straight H264 because they were proprietary & not standards based. I'm using H265 on cams that have it and H264 on the ones that done have H265. Also using VBR on 6 cameras at a remote site (3 miles which is connected via internet and limited upload of 8-10Mb. Haven't noticed a problem since using substreams to monitor. I have take off Hardware
Intel Hardware Acceleration is often the culprit behind crashes and other unstable behavior. You could try turning it off to see if that improves stability.

Verify that hardware acceleration is off by looking at the "HA" column in Blue Iris Status window. I means Intel acceleration. - means no acceleration.

If you can determine that Intel HW acceleration is responsible for the bad behavior, you could try upgrading or downgrading the Intel graphics driver version you have installed, and prevent Windows from automatically installing new Intel drivers.

Lastly, if all else fails, Blue Iris Tools can monitor your CPU usage and restart Blue Iris automatically if the CPU usage stays very high for too long.
(sorry, last reply got sent before I was done) Anyway, I've taken off Hardware acceleration & will let it cook for awhile. Doing that upped by CPU usage slightly but looks like it's running under 10% per BI or taskmanager. I don't think I can keep Windows from upgrading anymore but I like your idea of preventing Windows from installing new drivers (thanks for the link) However, when I checked into that I found that is only available on Win10 pro etc, (I have Home vers). I guess I could do it via registry but I only know enough about that to be dangerous to myself and others : (

Reaction score
Have you had problems with H265?
Never tried H265. When I started with BI back in 2018, some folks had issues with H265 so I just used H264 and never looked back. I don't have a network performance issue or a storage issue. My network is fast enough and the 30TB is plenty for me so I do not worry about bandwidth or storage.

Most folks here will say to use WIN10PRO for your BI server.

Cal F

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone who cares or is curious, I disabled the hardware acceleration and have NOT had any shutdown issues for the last week. Never restarted the computer OR BI in that time. I will let it run another week or two and see if any shutdowns and then will let it run as a service and see if that runs without issues (which I first suspected but still was shutting down when not running as a service). Again, appreciate all the feed back.