Blue Iris 5 Password Corruption - New Cameras

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I added an SV3C camera to my BI a week ago, and it uses ONVIF. I set a user and password, and while I was working on it, everything worked. It still works. But one time, I opened it, and I started getting a message when I went to the Video/Configuration tab. Enter no more than 40 characters. That pops up 5 times. At first, I couldn't figure out what the issue was. But then I looked at the password field, and it is just filled with hundreds of ASCII characters. I changed it back, and now it does it all the time.

So, I had purchased another camera to replace a REOLINK camera that will not stay connected (to BI, another issue), and I have several of these WYZE Cam 2 running. It is doing the same thing, and I cannot get it online because the password changes to hundreds of ASCII characters. All the existing cameras work, but any new cameras do this. I have tried everything, short of uninstalling BI and reinstalling. I figured, before I do that, I would come here for help. I have also emailed BI Support, but they take a few days/weeks to get back to you.

Anyone ideas?

Version: Release 5.3.9.0 x64 (1/27/2021)
Service: Yes
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz [39%]
RAM: 9.78G/127.9G

Attachments

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not the keyboard, I know that.

Hacking, I haven't seen any signs of being hacked, they would have to get past the firewalls and VLANs and all that. I am not sure what they would do to cause the password corruption though if someone did.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All I can say is that I've been running BI since version 2 and never, ever, had a password corruption problem or any other internal problems with configurations being "lost" like that. Something did that and I'm pretty sure BI isn't the culprit. If the cameras were hacked, that means someone was on the system at a fairly deep level. Maybe a pajama boy in the basement, maybe a real hacker, no way to know. Have you looked at router logs at all?

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All I can say is that I've been running BI since version 2 and never, ever, had a password corruption problem or any other internal problems with configurations being "lost" like that. Something did that and I'm pretty sure BI isn't the culprit. If the cameras were hacked, that means someone was on the system at a fairly deep level. Maybe a pajama boy in the basement, maybe a real hacker, no way to know. Have you looked at router logs at all?
Well, I am not saying it isn't possible, but I had never had a cheap camera that insisted on ONVIF at first. I was kind of hoping it was related to that camera at first.

I'll dig through the logs and see if anything sticks out. I run SSL certificates on everything and separated VLANs for those, plus on the servers, iptables etc. It is possible something got through, but I would be if they did, it originated from that camera. I got to head to work, but I'll dig through some logs and see if anything sticks out or raises any red flags. I know the firewall has tons of attempted intrusions, but not sure any got through, though it's possible.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also try a factory reset of that camera. Maybe it has problems. I have retired my SV3C cameras due to poor performance at night. There is no way to actually control them in terms of frame rate, iframe rate, shutter speed, iris and so on plus they aren't capable of dual streaming, main and sub stream. Really weak processors in them.

mioutlook

n3wb
Reaction score
The latest version of BI supports encryption of stored passwords. I see you are running 5.3.9.0. Did you enable encryption on the "Other" tabs? Maybe you found a bug.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The latest version of BI supports encryption of stored passwords. I see you are running 5.3.9.0. Did you enable encryption on the "Other" tabs? Maybe you found a bug.

Bingo, that was it. It was enabled (I guess on the latest version?) I turned that off, opened the camera settings. Set the password, and opened it back up and it is working fine. I was even able to enable it again and it still works.

Thank you!