Blue Iris and CodeProject.AI ALPR

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm starting with an apology because I "think" I've searched high and low for a similar issue but can't find anyone's post that might help me. I need help. I'm doing a setup just like everyone writing here, most current version of BI5, CPAI. I am able to read a plate but it doesn't write to the database. In a normal speed playback of the video, car is detected, plate is detected. If I pause the frame, the plate is shown in the detection square but then nothing is written to the database and therefore nothing is written to a csv file I'm able to write to a file "On Alert. Here's a picture. I won't post more yet. Perhaps a direction to be pointed in so I can find more answers? What is the magic frame that would be set to optimum for analysis and writing of the data? I don't know which direction to tweak the settings. Thanks.plate found - no database entry.png

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm starting with an apology because I "think" I've searched high and low for a similar issue but can't find anyone's post that might help me. I need help. I'm doing a setup just like everyone writing here, most current version of BI5, CPAI. I am able to read a plate but it doesn't write to the database. In a normal speed playback of the video, car is detected, plate is detected. If I pause the frame, the plate is shown in the detection square but then nothing is written to the database and therefore nothing is written to a csv file I'm able to write to a file "On Alert. Here's a picture. I won't post more yet. Perhaps a direction to be pointed in so I can find more answers? What is the magic frame that would be set to optimum for analysis and writing of the data? I don't know which direction to tweak the settings. Thanks.View attachment 165650
Post screenshots of your CodeProject.AI Dashboard, Blue Iris Main AI Settings, and Camera Reo18 AI Settings

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
One thing the could be causing the issue is you have Save unknow faces enabled in the camera's AI setting. Try the below settings, everything else looks good. To make sure the ALPR module is working run the below test. Also if you are not using the OCR module you can uninstall it.

View attachment 165909

View attachment 165911
LPR Through CPAI works albeit camera angle, blur level (frame speed) are among a number of factors for my success and failure. "DoNotCancel" is a new one. I just haven't read enough. Thank you for helping keep me pointing in the right direction.

Reaction score
can someone shed light on what criteria is needed to write the &PLATE variable of the ALPR plate number on the alerts window frame? I am able to trigger a motion alert. the camera has recorded enough video to process a clear image of the plate. So far I've tried many suggested settings and combinations thereof. At one point I had two orange frames drawing around the vehicle. One was labeled "car" and the second frame was labeled "vehicle". The only time I get results is when I playback the video and pause. This however doesn't write an alert with LPR detail. Do you guys see more success because you have a dedicated video card (NVidia)? I am using the onboard Intel GPU on a typical factory Dell computer. I've tried many settings combinations and hard reboots (not just stopping BI5 and CPAI services) to clear previous settings and start fresh (waiting time between reboots is really adding up). At this point I feel I'm going in circles and making too many changes (i don't think i am) without giving time to observe results. I notice that the orange frame used in Testing & Tuning > Analysis with AI will take 1/2 second delay to center the frame on the vehicle as it moves frame to frame and then detect/write a plate identification on the orange frame - results of slow computer?
Anyhow, criteria or order of operation, minimum frames to analyze, etc., what is needed before a trigger writes an alert with a plate? I hope I'm asking the right question. Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

Reaction score
Do you have the ALPR option enabled on the AI tab in BI?
Yes, ALPR option enabled. I can use the mouse scroll wheel to jog the video forward and backward in the playback frame by frame and get a high probability percentage for detection of car, DayPlate and a license plate read. It just doesn't write it to the alerts and therefore doesn't write to the &PLATE. Here's my system info. I'm posting this image just to see if it's average hardware with what everyone else is using or if it's just a slug of a desktop which cannot process the data fast enough. The software and databases are on a SSD but the videos go out to 7200rpm (1-4 day old) hdd and older videos (5-8 day old) are moved to a 5400rpm drive. My next step is to throw money at a big video card since prices are coming down to something I can live with shelling out cash for. I'm thinking it's the hardware in my case and not the software and settings.

I think TSAN wrote on 5/14/2023 about a similar situation which has to do with settings (and a choice of camera for ALPR).

1687522884332.png

Last edited:

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's the hardware in my case and not the software and settings.
I don't think the computer is the issue because it runs fine on my i7-4790 with four cores. Looking back at your screenshots it looks like it worked at least one time. Which camera are you using?

Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 6.56.10 AM.png

Reaction score
I don't think the computer is the issue because it runs fine on my i7-4790 with four cores. Looking back at your screenshots it looks like it worked at least one time. Which camera are you using?

View attachment 166069
Reolink RLC-811A (Because it has 5x optical zoom) firmware updated not long ago ago to current. I used to use this hardware setup with DeepStack & Plate Recognizer which allows for 2500 images. That setup was giving me plenty of good results. I didn't want to pay a subscription for a pet project though.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It looks like your alert list is showing a jpg snapshot of the alert. It should look more like this.

Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 7.28.13 AM.png

Post a screenshot of your record tab.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have hardware decode enabled on the camera's video tab? If so, try turning that off.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
License Plate Reader version 2.5 has been released. Your CP.AI might still show only v2.2. To install v2.5 uninstall v2.2 then reinstall and it will pull v2.5. After the install restart CP.AI service and when view the dashboard do a Ctrl + F5 to refresh the page.

Changes
  • Improved download of the module Python packages
  • Added OCR optimization to improve the plate reading
  • Added the ability to read multi line plates
1688917021052.png

Last edited:

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
License Plate Reader version 2.5 has been released. Your CP.AI might still show only v2.2. To install v2.5 uninstall v2.2 then reinstall and it will pull v2.5. After the install restart CP.AI service and when view the dashboard do a Ctrl + F5 to refresh the page.

Changes
  • Improved download of the module Python packages
  • Added OCR optimization to improve the plate reading
  • Added the ability to read multi line plates
View attachment 167360
Hey Mike, I did all the above and it shows the above on my screen - License Plate Reader New:2.2 (current 2.5) 2022-03-20 Installed. Does this mean I have it install correctly?