Blue iris and computer turning off

Reaction score
Hello, new to this message board. Seeing if anybody has suggestions to try out. I have a Asus vivopc40 running as a server just for my network cameras and everything is working well except the pc turns off after about 4-5 days. I have the settings to never sleep or turn off in Windows 8 settings, wondering if it is trying to update then it turns itself off? I would like to not worrie about it turning off especially when we are out of town...Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..check event viewer in windows to see if there is any indication as to why its shutting down....what is your cpu usage?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say it is turning off, do you mean it shuts down and does not come back on by itself?

Could be a blue screen caused by bad hardware or a bad driver. These usually appear in the windows event viewer as a "critical" event that says "Kernel Power". Of course all that "Kernel Power" means is the system shut down unexpectedly. Same thing would happen if you unplugged the PC from its power source.

When Windows Update requires a restart, it genuinely does a restart, not just a shutdown.

There are usually a few things you can do to help the PC recover automatically while you are gone. First, go into the BIOS and see if you can find an option similar to "Restore on AC Power Loss" and set it to Power On. This will make the PC turn on by itself after a power outage. Second, make sure Blue Iris is configured to run as a service, and this way it will run in the background even if nobody is logged in to the PC.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. For the first reply, cpu is averaging 40-47% when blue iris is being used. For the second the computer shuts all the way off and does not come back on. Blue iris is the only program I use this computer for. I've went into the bios/advanced menus and can't find anything about restore when power is lost. To configure blue iris to run as a service do I configure that in the blue iris program or is that one of the windows options? I have a feeling it is just a setting that is turning off the pc as it is brand new and everything else works good. It is running on windows 8.1. Thanks for the help

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar issue several years ago. It was the power supply. Most other hardware issues would cause a reboot via a blue screen, etc, not a shutdown.