Blue Iris and hard drives

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a two questions and after searching the forum, I couldn't find the answers for my situation.
I have 15 2MP cameras at 15-20 FPS that continuously record.

My first question was if I should save video to my local SSD that my OS is on, then have it moved to my storage drive after x days or x mb. I found that it makes no difference based on the replies in this forum. So I continue to just record on my storage drive. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My second question is if I should save different cameras to different drives - how many cameras can record to a single drive without it getting overloaded? I was thinking a hard drive would have a max for simultaneous records before it became a problem. So instead of having 15 cams record to Drive 1, have Cams 1-7 record to Drive 1 and Cams 8-15 record to Drive 2. Any feedback on this?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The BI help file explains this.
A WD purple drive is designed for up to 64 streams/cams.

Only thing that should be on your SSD is the OS, BI, and the BI database. Video to a standard HD.

As far as moving files...it's all personal preference, you really don't need to unless you are moving them to a NAS or such.
Just use the "New" folder, and set to delete as it fills.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, 64 streams? That's crazy.
When you say BI database, is that just the txt files with alerts?
Now that I think about it, not sure why I move the files to the "storage" folder. Yeah, I should just fill one folder to deletion.

Also, is it best to get 2x 4TB drives for video storage or 1x 8TB?

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's cheaper to go 2x4TB plus if one of the drives fail you still have the other to continue recording.

sdyfgasd

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been experiencing terrible lag when moving 2GB files from "New" to "Stored" every hour. It would queue the drives so bad, some active camera streams would interrupt (16x1080p@12fps). I say select New path as the permanent storage.