Blue Iris and smart door locks / unarming

rwbryce

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, apologies if this has already been answered, but I did a quick search and didn't find an answer.

This group helped me configure Blue Iris for my uses - so thank you. We are now through the winter and I need to expand on its functionality to deal with more activity around the farm yard. So...my questions:

I want to get a smart door lock, (not just something like Dahua DB6I / EmpireTec Model DB5X - 5MP Doorbell Initial Unboxing / Findings / Tips & Tricks / Comparison Video for the house) but an electronic doorlock too.

What I'd like to do is configure Blue Iris to disable alarms when the door lock is unlocked, but enable alarms when the door lock is locked. I would prefer that Blue Iris continues to record videos. I just can't have my phone trigger repeated alarms when there's regular activity in the yard. And the natural trigger to indicate this would be when the house door lock is locked or not.

Thanks!

--Rob

Last edited:

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't offer any electronic/smart lock recommendations but handling the alerts logic would be simple within BI.

If you can find a smart lock that will send out http commands or MQTT, I would setup two profiles within BI, one with alerts turned on, the other set to record continuously with no alerts. When the smart lock is unlocked, it would then send the http command to your BI to change profiles.

Happy to look at any locks you find and check wether it would be possible.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
is one example smart lock that supports WIFI. It already supports Alexa and Google Assistant, so I'm hoping it can be made to work with BI.
I can't see anything in the manual that tells me it would work out of the box for what you are looking to do. You could probably use an IFTTT Applet to link BI to Wyze but means going out of your LAN (not ideal).

There is also custom integration within Home Assistant that links to Wyze products which you could then do what you want to do but... loading up a home assistant box just for this seems overkill. Unless you are looking into a home automation platform?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely could do it using a variety of locks and MQTT/Home Assistant or other automation platform. I think the Wyze integration also requires going to the cloud. I've not used it but see that it requires credentials and works by emulating the Wyze app. So guessing that's the case. But in either case as you say that's a lot to set up just to do this.

With a lock that supports Alexa, should be able to do it using Alexa routines. My locks are all Z-Wave and I don't have a directly supported lock to test, but I can have a cam trigger other devices using Alexa routines in that same way. That's fairly easy to set up. But again requires access to cloud.