Blue Iris and WD My Cloud - Can't FTP or Drive Map

TLCTimFL

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris and WD My Cloud - Can't FTP or Map Drive

I've been using BI successfully for years with a Seagate NAS (network) drive until the Seagate crashed. Now I'm the owner of a Western Digital My Cloud Pro 2100 (pr2100) and can't get BI to save to it. When I try and FTP to it, the test was a success (so I know the settings are correct) but then the pr2100 blocks the BI computer IP address permanently. To check and see if it was just BI or all FTP, I deleted the permanent block and tried a program called FTP Commander. It was able to successfully send and retrieve files to the pr2100 with no issues from the same computer.

My next choice was to map a drive to the pr2100. The mapped drive works fine in Windows Explorer. Next, using BI, I try to Target/Post files to a folder with an individual camera...NOPE...the mapped drive won't even show up when I browse to "This PC".

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris and WD My Cloud - Can't FTP or Map Drive

My next choice was to map a drive to the pr2100. The mapped drive works fine in Windows Explorer. Next, using BI, I try to Target/Post files to a folder with an individual camera...NOPE...the mapped drive won't even show up when I browse to "This PC".

Any ideas?
Here's how I fixed my issue of the mapped drive not showing up.

1. Win+X -> Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Change Adapter Settings
  2. Right click on the Network Adapter->Properties
  3. Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties ->Advanced->WINS
  4. Click to select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" then click OK.

TLCTimFL

n3wb
Reaction score

Darn, I was hoping...but didn't work. IP4 was not on so I followed your instructions with no luck. It makes no sense what so ever to me. So I have a call set up for Saturday with high level Western Digital support and am hoping he can find something not set correctly. So I just checked using Windows Notepad to see if I could find the mapped drive...Yep, it's there. BI & WD are not playing nicely. Any other ideas?
lan.JPGWins.JPG

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Darn, I was hoping...but didn't work. IP4 was not on so I followed your instructions with no luck. It makes no sense what so ever to me. So I have a call set up for Saturday with high level Western Digital support and am hoping he can find something not set correctly. So I just checked using Windows Notepad to see if I could find the mapped drive...Yep, it's there. BI & WD are not playing nicely. Any other ideas?
View attachment 13075View attachment 13074

Sorry that didn't work for you! If you do find a solution working with WD please report back to this thread. Good luck!

TLCTimFL

n3wb
Reaction score

Sorry that didn't work for you! If you do find a solution working with WD please report back to this thread. Good luck!
The WD tech support spent almost 2 hours troubleshooting. I think he finally gave up defeated. What did we accomplish? I'm able to map drives now...but here's the strange thing. Blue Iris is not seeing the mapped drives. I've tried several other programs and the mapped drives work fine. The one thing he was unable to figure out was when I try to set up a locations to save the New clips, I can't use a local IP address "\\192.168.0.225\blueiris", mapped drive and if I try to click on Network, it fails and can't connect to the WD server. After all this, I firmly believe the problem lies with both BI and WD. So really, nothing has been solved.

For those following this thread, he did make the following change in the WD server:
Settings/Network/Port Forwarding
Forward both FTP choices = Port 20 and Port 21

I'd already forwarded 21 in my router.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If anyone can add to this, I'd love to try it.

Tim

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is BI running as a service? if so, the userid of the 'service' is different than the userid when you are at the desktop. I had to change the windows security settings on my (linux) shared drive to make it accessible to BI.

TLCTimFL

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, BI is running as a service. So I went in to look at the login of the service and it was the system user which is Tim (me) and I'm the only account on the computer. I wonder if that's conflicting with the Admin account of the My Cloud. Since I'm the only account on the computer, I never gave myself a pw. I wonder if that's the sticking point because Tim does have a pw on the MyCloud.

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unless you specifically coded 'Tim' as the user to run the BI service under, it is different, called 'local System'. and the authority required is different.
Screenshot 2016-09-29 06.01.49.pngScreenshot 2016-09-29 06.01.04.png

Last edited by a moderator:

TLCTimFL

n3wb
Reaction score
So what might your suggestion be? Should I uninstall BI and reinstall, or what?

Here's what I did to get around the issue that has dogged me since I purchased the My Cloud Pro 2100 back in July. I installed an internal 2TB drive in the tower that BI is running on and redirected everything from BI to a folder on that 2TB drive. Then I set up My Cloud to sync that folder (just like my own Dropbox). The syncing works almost immediately and a copy is created in the My Cloud sync'd folder. The reason I want it on the My Cloud is because the WD My Cloud box is hidden away up on a ledge with the router where it can't be seen and you need a ladder to get to it. If anyone would break in and take the computer, I'd still have the videos and pictures that were sync'd to the My Cloud device. Yes, I had to run cat5 but that was another project which I enjoyed when I hard wired my cameras and house.

sdetweil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
find the volume for the My Cloud device. right click, properties, select the security tab, select Edit, press Add, type SYSTEM, push check names, push ok. check Allow Full Control, press OK..,

now it should work. from BI. make a quick test, change the clips move/copy to a folder and see if you can navigate to that now