Blue iris and Windows 10 vs Windows 11

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been using BI for going on a year now and LOVE it.

EXTREMELY reliable and though I am still muddling through the learning curve on some things, it has done everything (and more) I need it to do right now.

Couple questions though in regards to updates.

I am running BI 5.4.4.2 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit...PERFECTLY HAPPY AS IS!

Of course MS just HAS to keep changing things....Windows 11 is "next" and I have been getting the annoying "your system will not run W11" every time I do a windows update.

I am running the following hardware:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor 2.70 GHz 8 gb of DDR3 memory (2 sticks of 4GB)

The motherboard is an MSI 760 GM-P23 (FX)
And the GPU is an MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE N610GT - MD2GD3/LP

Old, yes. I built this one for my kid to use some 10 years ago or more. LOL

But fairly robust ...at least so far with the three cams I have. W10 runs just fine.

Just off the top I know the processor is the first problem as faras MS's official "not compatible", not "approved" crapola. But the processor I have isnt on the W10 "approved" list either.....so it may just be a crap shoot and TRY W11....once I am forced to.

Honestly, I would love to just stay on W10.......Major windows changes are always a pain and (IMHO) make very little to no difference in the user experience for me.

Heck....I'd be OK if I could still be running Windows XP. LOL

Don't really want to have to buy a new mobo, processor and memory and start over with a windows install just because MS feels the need to make everyone change. Feels like I havent had THIS PC running on W10 that long!

I also have a video edit system I built...VERY robust....built 6 years ago...handles a couple streams of 4k video just fine.....plenty for what I edit.....renders FAST......and MS is telling the same crap about that system.....

I wont install the MS sniffer to list exactly what they see as a problem....I do NOT trust it. Instead I am using the official MS W11 "requirements" page...

* EDIT: Just found that MS pushed their health check app ALREADY on my PC so...I ran it...sigh. The processor is the big red "!" ---- also, "secure boot" and TPM 2.0 are not enabled right now.

* EDIT 2 -- I ALSO found that supposedly W10 will continue to be supported til 2025 sometime...so a reprieve. THANK GOODNESS!

But will BI continue to be supported on W10??

Anyone else here running into the same concern and how are you planning on dealing with it?

And.....as far as BI versions.....I am very much a "if it works dont try and fix it" guy. Any reason(s) I should be updating to beyond 5.4.4.2 ?

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve seen others report that BI runs fine on W11 but only you can decide if you want or have to upgrade. Personally I’ll just be leaving my system on W10, did get the itch to upgrade just to see what happens but somehow managed to resist.

As for upgrading beyond a specific release of BI, again if you’re happy with the version and functionality then leave it, my main Bi system is in a much older release of BI but if a release includes features that you might want to make use of then upgrade. Me personally, I don’t use Deepstack so have no real reason or need to update.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest Blue Iris versions should continue to work on Windows 10 at least until its official end-of-support date from Microsoft (currently Oct 2025). Chances are it will continue to be compatible for many years after that, especially if a significant number of customers are still running Windows 10 by then.

You can expect that eventually (many years from now) some Blue Iris update will break compatibility with Win10 and you'd need to update to Win11 or newer to be able to update Blue Iris any further, but older BI versions will continue to work. Just like you could install early Blue Iris 4.0 versions on Windows XP today and run that if you so desired.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running the latest version of BI on Windows 8.1, which apparently still is supported by MS. I haven't updated it in years, works fine.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback all!

Gonna just leave things as they are for now and resist the temptation to have "the latest and greatest from Windows"....(tongue in check there...)

Reaction score
Hi there! It's great to hear that you've been enjoying using BI for almost a year now.
Regarding updating BI to a newer version, if you are satisfied with the current version and it meets your needs, there may not be any reason to update. However, newer versions may offer improved features and functionality that you may find helpful.
Regarding your concern about product keys, consider purchasing a reddit windows product key. It may be a cost-effective solution to upgrading your operating system. Just make sure to do your research and purchase from a reputable seller. Best of luck with your decision!

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running it.on my daily driver, with BI. I was able to install a copy of one of the Windows 11 Insider preview editions prior to release on a Dell 7020 sff without TPM 2.0.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running it.on my daily driver, with BI. I was able to install a copy of one of the Windows 11 Insider preview editions prior to release on a Dell 7020 sff without TPM 2.0.
There are ways to bypass tpm 2.0 when installing a fresh copy. Just do a google. You have to access registry edit during install and set a few keys in order to bypass all the checks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I watched a video last month where it was stated that MS have now started blocking the bypasses including the bypasses that they themselves previously allowed.

I really can’t understand why they are doing this but the push for the reasons of added security is their reasoning.

It should be interesting for me next year as I’m currently working on an account where the customer wants some work done to look at W11. We are using Azure to host the VDI and the entire TPM has to be emulated so am looking forward to the work.