Blue Iris app freezes when viewed for extended periods

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to use Blue Iris for a baby monitor. I have an Amcrest IP cam above her crib, Blue Iris installed on an old windows 7 Laptop (AMD Turion II Dual-Core M500 2.20ghz CPU with 8GB RAM), and the Blue Iris app installed on a rooted 7th gen Fire Tablet 8 connected over LAN. The baby cam is the only camera being monitored by the Blue Iris software. This setup generally works very well, with one issue.

At night, we set the fire tablet on the nightstand next to my wife and leave it plugged into the charger. I have developer options set to leave the screen on when it is plugged in so the tablet will not go to sleep. We have the Blue Iris app pulled up and streaming the baby camera the entire time. This works well for a couple of hours, but after that, the image becomes VERY delayed. When I woke up this morning the time stamp on the Blue Iris app image was 6 minutes behind the actual time.

I can deal with a couple second delay, but 6 minutes is obviously unusable. Is there some way to fix this? Is this an issue with the app or a setting in Blue Iris?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue. Every now and then the screen just freezes . I have to close the app and log back in.

Reaction score
I just realized I have the same camera. I hope it's not the camera. I don't want to replace them all .

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I never figured it out. I ended up using TinyCam Pro app on my Android tablet to monitor the camera. It works pretty well. I kill the app and restart it once a day to keep the delay down.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reducing the streaming resolution can also help prevent a delay if the receiving hardware can't keep up with the stream in real-time.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds, to me, like the device is slowly running out of memory. Just a guess but would fit the profile you're describing.

Reaction score
Reducing the streaming resolution can also help prevent a delay if the receiving hardware can't keep up with the stream in real-time.
Thx. I reduced from the default 2k to 1080 as soon as I got the camera. Then I tried reducing to 720 but I got no picture in B.I. for some reason. I didn't try < 720.

Reaction score
Sounds, to me, like the device is slowly running out of memory. Just a guess but would fit the profile you're describing.
Thx. I never thought about the tablet being the cause. I'm using my old Galaxy Tab S 8.4. I think it has 3 GB memory, which isn't bad for a tablet. I stripped it of all non-essential apps so I could use it solely as a baby monitor.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're streaming from BI, you'll need to change the streaming profile. (Options-->Web Server-->Advanced...-->Configure...). Try a reduced bit rate and/or output frame size.

Reaction score
If you're streaming from BI, you'll need to change the streaming profile. (Options-->Web Server-->Advanced...-->Configure...). Try a reduced bit rate and/or output frame size.
Thx!! I ended up buying the TinyCam Pro app referenced above. If that doesn't work, I'll try B.I. again using a different profile.