Blue Iris Camera Groups and PTZ Preset Triggers

Craig G

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This is pretty basic stuff but I was stumped for an hour trying to figure out how triggers from other cameras work when activating multiple PTZ presets.

Hopefully this explanation may help anyone who tries to set up the same thing.

A picture tells a thousand words.

The PTZ is set on Preset 1 [YELLOW]

When CAM A [RED] triggers, I want PTZ to move to Preset 2 [RED ARROW]

When CAM B [GREEN] triggers, I want PTZ to move to Preset 3 [GREEN ARROW]

How to do this?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edit CAM A in Blue Iris.

General tab > Groups > Select > Add new group called 'CAM A PTZ'

Trigger tab > When triggered > Trigger Camera Groups 'CAM A PTZ'

Move to preset '2'

Move camera groups 'CAM A PTZ'

OK

Edit CAM B in Blue Iris.

General tab > Groups > Select > Add new group called 'CAM B PTZ'

Trigger tab > When triggered > Trigger Camera Groups 'CAM B PTZ'

Move to preset '3'

Move camera groups 'CAM B PTZ'

OK

Edit PTZ camera in Blue Iris

General tab > Groups > Select > 'CAM A PTZ'; 'CAM B PTZ'

OK

That's all there is to it.
You obviously need to have already predefined your PTZ presets :)

Probably teaching you how to suck eggs but hopefully it'll help someone.

Kind regards
Craig.

Reaction score
Thanks Craig, I was trying to figure out how to do this but I couldn't get it.

Worked first time.

wittaj

Known around here
Reaction score
I figured instead of opening a new thread, I would add on to this as it is similar.

I did something similar as above and created the "poor man's" auto track for a PTZ by using the "clone and zone" method. I have 10 cloned cameras and each one has a designated zone and if something enters that zone, it calls up the PTZ preset for that particular area. I may have gone a little overboard LOL and may dial some back, but the results are fairly promising. I think the method above though is simpler and doesn't involve making clones, so I am going to give that a try.

Regarding version 5.2.1.0, it mentioned one of the adds was "Assign sources and zones to action set actions." Maybe I am missing it, but it seems like something is missing in the PTZ preset areas?

I thought this new option would also allow you to designate different zones for each PTZ preset (since it allows you to create Zone A through G and a hotspot for each PTZ preset) and then do object detection zone crossing for each PTZ preset, but I guess that is asking for too much?

For example, for PTZ Preset 1, I would love to use the Zones A,B, C that I can delineate in that Preset 1 and have it call it another preset to go to for zone triggering based on motion (for example, if the PTZ is at Preset 1and the objectc goes from A to B then PTZ preset 2 is called; if it goes from A to C, then PTZ preset 3 is called, etc.). I'd rather have it in the PTZ menu than lot's of clone cameras.

From the PTZ menu you get this menu and you can select "Override motion zones" to create Zone A through G and a hotspot for each preset, but that is it... there is no way to call out what to do about zone crossings...

1590284817901.png

Shouldn't we then get the option in the PTZ settings to do this like we can in the fixed cams, otherwise what is the intent or purpose of being able to assign zones under each preset?:

1590284870179.png