Blue Iris Clip Playback Frame by Frame

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am currently running Blue Iris 5.3.7.4. I have been searching for a way to playback a recorded clip frame by frame. It used to be possible to advance or reverse frame by frame with each click of the mouse button. I have figured out that I can advance frame by frame by clicking a little to the right or a little to the left of the pause button, but it takes several clicks to advance one frame. I have searched the help manual and this site, but haven't really found much. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Is there a simple way to advance one frame at a time with one click on the mouse?

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
answer is in the help file
The first dot next the the pause bars on the clip play back control for frame stepping.
Yes, I had already found that in the help file. It actually takes about 5 mouse clicks to advance 1 frame. I thought maybe there was a way to advance 1 frame each mouse click. It is especially annoying when you are dealing with the lag of working remotely using Teamviewer. Interestingly, the Blue Iris mobile app does allow frame stepping with 1 click advancing 1 frame. I would expect the same functionality on the PC, but I don't find that to be so. I figured I was missing something obvious. I use frame stepping often when playing back clips on my license plate camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It works for me. if you are at 15 FPS it will take 15 clicks to move 1 second. Look at the time associated with the frame, it moves on each click. I have a FPS and Iframe of 15.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! My camera has an FPS and iframe of 6. I would expect the clip to advance 1/6 of a second each time I click the dot with a new frame displayed after each click. That isn't what is happening. I must click 5 times before I see a new frame. I'll have to check, but I don't think the time is advancing with each click like you describe. Possibly this a bug that was fixed with a later BI version. I haven't updated to the latest version yet, but I'll probably try it soon in hopes that it fixes this issue.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried the frame stepping in Blue Iris's local console and there's no doubt it is flawed. Sometimes I see it move 0 frames, and sometimes it moves 2 frames. The playback clock also appears to be out of sync. But mostly it still gets the job done.

For what its worth, UI3 has a flawed implementation of frame stepping too, but in that case it is because UI3 has no choice but to guess at a timestamp that will deliver the next frame. Blue Iris's local console has no such excuse. With the actual video file available, it should be able to get frame stepping 100% correct.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also use the < and > buttons on the keyboard in UI3.

Honestly, every time I need to step frame by frame, I just export the video and open it in VLC. BI is great for recording, but it sucks for this purpose.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, after playing around with the playback buttons for awhile, I think I now understand the intent of the first dot on either side of the pause bars. I was trying to just click the dot once expecting to advance one frame with each mouse click. I think the intended use of these dots is to click and hold so that the clip plays at 1/4 speed. Actually, that works pretty well for what I'm using it for.