Blue Iris config changed 2 camera IPs during huge rolling thunderstorm

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running 5 cameras, 2 wifi cameras in the house connected to my router and 3 wired Dahau cameras connected to a managed POE switch in my garage as is the BI server. Yesterday we had a major thunderstorm pass in our area, for a good 45 minutes it was constant lightning strikes and thunder. At one point the electricity blinked and then cutout completely. The electricity came back about 30 min later and when I checked 2 out of 3 Dahau cameras on the switch were no longer connecting. I thought maybe I damaged the POE switch or the cameras during the lightning storm. Long story short, nothing was wrong with the switch or the cameras but for some reason the Blue Iris config for those 2 cameras had a different IP set. I know all the IPs for my cameras, and they are statically set and didn't change. What changed was the IP address in the BI configuration for each those cameras. One IP ending in 43 changed to 41 and the other was 51 and it was changed to 53. All I did to get my cameras back up was to change the IP in the config back to what it was originally and everything is back up and working again. Not sure what happened there, makes no sense to me.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had a similar experience with power outages on my BI system. It's weird. The first thing they teach you here is to change the your new camera from .108 to a Static address and save it.
Thought I'd done that each and everytime.
But there are two of these (
Loryta IPC-EW5541-AS NTSC Format 5MP WizMind IR Fisheye)

that act strange with loss of power. I found they had somehow become dhcp during power interuption, Or I didn't save the static IP correctly on set up, But it's happened twice. 1st time I don't recall verifyiing the DHCP/Static settings. But this last time, having lernt me some new OLD dog tricks, I caught them in the ACT! they were dhcp?! WTF
Did they somehow reset to that from loss of power?
are their firmwares a diff version from the others? I have 4 of them.
is it BI?
I started looking at Backup UPS's to stop all the silliness. something that will power a Cisco Catalyst 3560x with 15 cams, and a HP Pc for 20 minutes or more.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
VERY strange.
+1 on @Flintstone61 's suggestion for a good, properly sized UPS to not only power the BI server and POE switches but help protect them from spikes/surges/brownouts.

Frankly, I'd count my blessings if that's the only negative issues incurred after such a storm. Down here in SE U.S. of A. an electrical storm pretty much can take out anything it wants, when it wants to...protection or not, but it's still worth implementing...it can't hurt.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember the weather at Ft. Polk LA. We used to get some hellacious thunderstorms. But nobody had any electronics to speak of. TV and Beer and Marlboro's were the only thing I remember in the housing area.
Our drought got busted early this week, with a strong line coming thru. ( strong for us) Lightning took out the logic board and wall button, on the garage door opener...and the Cisco 10 port Poe switch, (grr), and the Linksys wifi/router. strangely, The Nightowl DVR from Hell survived, as well as the Arris Cable modem.

Last edited: