Blue Iris Crashes When UI3 Is Run - Solved

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have been using BI since June and it has been performing very well with no issues. It is on a separate dedicated Windows 10 computer with a dual NIC setup with a dozen Dahua cameras. Presently using version 5.5.9.6.

Until Saturday zero issues. Then when activating UI3 on a LAN Windows 10 computer BI crashes. No warning, BI just stops! i.e. UI3 has been in use since BI was installed in June.

There is a orange clock in the upper right corner of UI3 that appears with a message "The video stream was lost - attempting to reconnect" and "The video player is not available".

These messaged could be the result of BI shutting down with UI3 trying to connect to a service that is no longer operating.

Used a 2nd network computer with the same result. Also on the BI machine the same issue when using FireFox and accessing UI3 using the URL (192.168.1.120) to connect to BI.

BI can be restarted and performs as it should if UI3 is not used and BI keeps on running. The concern is why does BI shut down when UI3 is being accessed after 3 months of previously successful operation.

Suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could be related to your hardware acceleration settings based on a similar post I found on here.

See below.

Also make sure you have excluded blue Iris from your AV. I doubt it is that, but may be worth a try.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This camera format item appear correct.

format.PNG

Uploaded to the Windows 10 BI computer the latest MS Virus & Threat Protection Updates. Also checked the current threats and noting is listed for Blue Iris. Added the BI folders to "exclusions" for both "C" (SSD) and "D" drives (8 TB Purple WD).

Turned off Virus and firewall protection and no change. UI3 still crashes BI. Restarted both the computer and BI a number of times. Could be a MS update this is not compatible with BI.

Appreciate the suggestions. Maybe a bigger hammer is the answer!!!

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This camera format item appear correct.

View attachment 139600

Uploaded to the Windows 10 BI computer the latest MS Virus & Threat Protection Updates. Also checked the current threats and noting is listed for Blue Iris. Added the BI folders to "exclusions" for both "C" (SSD) and "D" drives (8 TB Purple WD).

Turned off Virus and firewall protection and no change. UI3 still crashes BI. Restarted both the computer and BI a number of times. Could be a MS update this is not compatible with BI.

Appreciate the suggestions. Maybe a bigger hammer is the answer!!!
Try this... Go to Settings> Cameras> Hardware accelerated decode. What option do you have set here? Try setting this to no.

Then go to each camera and go to camera settings> video> hardware decode> make sure this is set to default or no for each camera.

Test and see if that makes a difference.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The hardware accelerated decode is set at Intel + VPP. Changed it to "no". Shut down BI and restated. Same issue.

Checked all of the cameras and each is set at "default" for camera settings> video> hardware decode. Did not change to "no"

On Saturday, removed a camera from the POE switch. In BI marked that camera as "disable". This displayed a box for the camera on the main BI screen plus displayed the IP address for that camera within that box.

As a test "Deleted Camera" (the one that was powered down) and now all is working once again.

As a guess, it would appear that a non powered camera should not be marked as "disable", but should be a "Deleted Camera". Not sure if this is true or not, but in this case the removal of the non powered camera completely from BI enabled UI3 to once again work.

Appreciate all of your assistance and troubleshooting guidance.

Thank you......

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice!

Glad you were able to get your issue resolved. Thank you for sharing the cause, as this will likely help someone else in the future.

Odd... as I have disabled an offline camera before without this issue, but I believe it. Likely could be a difference in version or settings as far as why I didn't see the issue in this scenario and you did.

I always like to stay on the bleeding edge of Blue Iris updates. Likely not the smartest decision but my setup is simple and I don't seem to have very many issues. I'm liking Driect-to-wire in UI3 at the moment.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like your idea of keeping up with the bleeding edge of BI. Your knowledge of what to check assisted in the troubleshooting tasks.

It would be interesting to see if the issue can be duplicated. It could also be a matter of the sequence of events used to remove the camera that generated the BI crash. So far no additional issue with this scenario.