Blue iris crashing solved

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My windows pc with blue iris has been giving me an ncreasing number of issues over the last few months and could not solve it. Blue iris would freeze. Couldn't rdp to the machine. Sometimes could ping it though.
Ran scans and tests on the disks and memory cards etc..

Well had the blue screen of death every 5 minutes today.
Wouldn't even run sfc scan in safe mode

Decided to start swapping hardware with another pc I had.

Appears to have been the memory cards.
Never rely on the windows memory diagnostic tests!

Got 32gb of memory now. Way too much but at least it runs smoothly. All sfc scans and disk checks done.
Fingers crossed it was just a faulty card.

Next few days will reveal

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I came here expecting to find a kernel-mode video driver causing problems.
I've been very fortunate not to have had ANY RAM hardware issues in many, many years.
Yes I was suspecting something like that. Blue screen crash gave me a different error each time. One was kernel related..one memory error, lost track of them
But just could not solve it.
But after swapping out the cards..smooth sailing.. We'll see fingers crossed

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty humid where I live and I recall I have had to remove some RAM on a few PC's and laptops, and even video cards, clean the card edges on both sides gently with a Pink Pearl eraser, blow off the rubber, re-insert and all was good.....

Gold will oxidize a little under the right conditions so it's easy to see how the slightest amount of oxide on a gold finger that's passing probably only nano-amperes of current will be affected. Big currents can more easily pass through high resistance but tiny currents cannot.

Add excessive ambient cigarette smoke, dust and vapors from plastics and vinyls curing (the "new car smell" scenario) and it can add up.

Not saying this happens a lot, even in the humid SE but I have experienced it. :cool:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's pretty humid where I live and I recall I have had to remove some RAM on a few PC's and laptops, and even video cards, clean the card edges on both sides gently with a Pink Pearl eraser, blow off the rubber, re-insert and all was good.....

Gold will oxidize a little under the right conditions so it's easy to see how the slightest amount of oxide on a gold finger that's passing probably only nano-amperes of current will be affected. Big currents can more easily pass through high resistance but tiny currents cannot.

Add excessive ambient cigarette smoke, dust and vapors from plastics and vinyls curing (the "new car smell" scenario) and it can add up.

Not saying this happens a lot, even in the humid SE but I have experienced it. :cool:
Ah great to know. I live in Uruguay where it is very humid in the winter and summer.
Noticed my vent front grill on my dell tower sff today was a bit oxidised. Blue iris runs on my other pc amd ryzen atx
Maybe after removing and reinstalling the slots a couple of times solved the issue by cleaning up the contacts.
The cards I thought were faulty seem to be working OK now in the other dell.

You might well be right with the contacts. Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah great to know. I live in Uruguay where it is very humid in the winter and summer.
Noticed my vent front grill on my dell tower sff today was a bit oxidised. Blue iris runs on my other pc amd ryzen atx
Maybe after removing and reinstalling the slots a couple of times solved the issue by cleaning up the contacts.
The cards I thought were faulty seem to be working OK now in the other dell.

You might well be right with the contacts. Thanks
The softer the pink eraser, the better. Keep it in a closed, plastic bag away from the air as much as possible so it won't harden.

Pink-Pearl_eraser.jpg

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever had a RAM stick go faulty so extremely rare for me and therefore not the first thing I’d suspect.

In terms of RAM, if you have multiple sticks make sure they are all capable of running at the speed that the motherboard expects. Most motherboards will switch all the RAM sticks to run at the speed of the slowest but this isn’t always guaranteed.