Blue Iris cyclically uses 100% CPU

Dion Lima

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, my blue iris is recording continuously 9 foscam IP cameras (1 h264 720p and 8 mjpeg). Normally the CPU load is about 15% but cyclically the CPU load goes to 100% and remains in this level for almost a minute and during this time the PC is unresponsive due to the high Blue Iris CPU load.

All cameras FPS are lower than 10 FPS, all cameras have a timestamp overlay, my CPU is a AMD Phenom II X4 965 overclocked to 3,7 GHz

My question is: What I could do to avoid this behavior? Should be better blue iris use the CPU continuously at 95% instead do this cyclically use.

PS. I attached below a sample of CPU usage graphic

Thank's

Dion Lima

image.png

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you recording the cameras directly to disc? That should help lower the CPU usage.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How often does it spike to 100%? Are you certain it is blueiris.exe with the load? The database maintenance procedure I think happens only once per day in the early hours of the morning. I've also seen CPU spikes when you have a very large number of clips and/or alert images and you try to load the web interface.

Until you figure out the root cause, you could try going in to task manager, processes tab. Right click blueiris.exe and choose Set Affinity then untick one of the boxes so Blue Iris will always leave one core of your CPU free.

Dion Lima

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you recording the cameras directly to disc? That should help lower the CPU usage.
Mike I would try record directly to the disk but I want mantain the text overlay, so this is not a good option for me. Anyway I guess this is a non normal CPU usage..

Any of you have detected this strange CPU usage?

Thanks

Dion

Dion Lima

n3wb
Reaction score
How often does it spike to 100%? Are you certain it is blueiris.exe with the load? The database maintenance procedure I think happens only once per day in the early hours of the morning. I've also seen CPU spikes when you have a very large number of clips and/or alert images and you try to load the web interface.

Until you figure out the root cause, you could try going in to task manager, processes tab. Right click blueiris.exe and choose Set Affinity then untick one of the boxes so Blue Iris will always leave one core of your CPU free.
bp2008,

- It spike to 100% every 40 seconds (or closer) and the cause is blueiris.exe,
- My database schedule procedure is scheduled to 2AM,
- I have a lot of clips and alert images but the CPU spikes happens all the time, without load the web interface.

I did what you suggested, and disabled 1 core for blueiris.exe now is much better, at least the PC remains responsive.

I will remove all clips and alerts and see what happens...

Thank's a lot

Last edited by a moderator:

Dion Lima

n3wb
Reaction score
UPDATE

There was more than 3000 clips, I deleted all clips and now there is just 18 clips. After that the CPU usage remains the same, so the number of clips does not matter. See the graphic below.

This second graphic is blue iris running just with 3 cores

Thanks

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I had 10,000s of alerts/clips before removing them became necessary for performance.

That is a really odd problem. And very regular. I'm glad the CPU affinity trick worked, but I'm pretty sure that will have to be done again every time blueiris.exe restarts for any reason. (it can probably be automated though with some 3rd party program)

Are you on the latest version of Blue Iris? The blueirissoftware.com website appears to be down at the moment, but if I were you what I would do is make sure this happens in the latest version, and if so then I would downgrade a couple versions. You should be able to get an older version here: http://blueirissoftware.com/30/ when the site comes back online. If that doesn't help, update to latest again and contact Blue Iris support.

Dion Lima

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I had 10,000s of alerts/clips before removing them became necessary for performance.

That is a really odd problem. And very regular. I'm glad the CPU affinity trick worked, but I'm pretty sure that will have to be done again every time blueiris.exe restarts for any reason. (it can probably be automated though with some 3rd party program)

Are you on the latest version of Blue Iris? The blueirissoftware.com website appears to be down at the moment, but if I were you what I would do is make sure this happens in the latest version, and if so then I would downgrade a couple versions. You should be able to get an older version here: http://blueirissoftware.com/30/ when the site comes back online. If that doesn't help, update to latest again and contact Blue Iris support.
bp2008,
I'm running the last blue iris version, I did what you suggested and downgrade to a few versions, but with no luck.

So I decided to test the same setup on my other PC, an old Alienware I7 920. I exported all cameras from the AMD PC to the I7 PC, now they are recording the same cameras without any stored clips.I started blue iris on both PC at the same time and the I7 PC runs blue iris smoothly, without spikes, see the graphic below. Must be something on my AMD PC. Does anyone here run blue iris on AMD CPU? If yes what's the result?

The problem is that I must use the AMD PC because it is dedicated only for the cams.

The graphics show the last 5 minutes

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason why an AMD CPU would cause it to spike like that. My first BI box was an AMD. One of their first quad core CPUs with integrated graphics in it (APU they call it). It was kind of slow, but it didn't spike to 100% all the time.

Dion Lima

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason why an AMD CPU would cause it to spike like that. My first BI box was an AMD. One of their first quad core CPUs with integrated graphics in it (APU they call it). It was kind of slow, but it didn't spike to 100% all the time.
Neither do I, it is a mystery.... I will keep looking for a reason for that... Even with just 3 cameras, it spikes to 100%

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Dion Lima

n3wb
Reaction score
UPDATE: I bought a new setup. I7-4770k CPU, MSI H81M-E33 Motherboard, and Corsair 4gB DDR3 1600Mhz memory.

Now everything is good, blue iris is running smoothly and continuously, always below 20% of CPU usage, even when the web server is active and simultaneous ios devices connections. Check it out the graphic below.