Blue Iris - Door Bell Button Trigger

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a RCA DB1 Door Bell installed and working with BI for the past couple of months. It's currently setup to trigger my phone app if someone enters a zone on my front porch. It's been working as one would expect with BI (i.e. I haven't had any issues :)). At this point I have deleted the RCA app off of my phone. I don't really care about the 2 way talk feature. Also, I have external internet access restricted to the doorbell via my router settings so the RCA app says "disconnected".

Having played around with my other camera zone settings over the past couple of months as well I have finally found a sweet spot where I don't get constant alerts when the wind farts but is still sensitive enough to let me know someone is walking around the sidewalk.

TLDR;
Now that I went through the initial setup phase of blue iris and am not getting a crazy amount of alerts, my wife would like to have access to the blue iris app. She would only like to get a phone notification if someone pushes the doorbell button. I really don't want to use the RCA or the other Apps if possible. Question: Is there a way to configure blue iris to trigger if the door bell button is pushed?

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the time being I’ll just put the RCA app on her phone. If anyone happens to figure out how to make the button trigger blue iris please let me know!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the time being I’ll just put the RCA app on her phone. If anyone happens to figure out how to make the button trigger blue iris please let me know!
In our neighborhood, only about 50-60% of the time does a visitor press our door bell button. The rest knock on the door.
Don't try covering too much with too few cameras.
Maybe you need another overview camera near the door, and setup zone crossing in BI for the RCA so that it only captures if someone actually walks up to the front door/on the porch.

In our house, the camera near the front door, with zone crossing setup, has become our automatic door bell with alerts to our phones. So, we capture the visitor whether or not they press the door bell button and get alerts.

Or clone the RCA in BI, and create different motion settings that only trigger when a person is close to the door for your wifes alerts.