Blue Iris down this morning - "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cannot get UI3 to work this morning. The service is running and restarts just fine, but if I try to run the BlueIrisAdmin.exe I get "C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIrisAdmin.exe, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". If I chose to re-install the application will I lose all my settings? I really hope not as I have over 50 cameras in my setup. Any suggestions?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you updated recently?

I have had this happen after an update and rebooting the computer gets it going again.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not manually installed an update. I did a reboot and this issue persists.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check to see if your setup was saving auto .reg files in the Blue Iris folder - if so you can use that to import all your settings.

Or go here and download the version up or down from yours and install it manual and see if that gets it going:

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like I have 3 reg files, one from about 4:11am this morning and another that looks to have been created just a few minutes ago. So after install I can import my configuration from one of these? I appreciate the help

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like I have 3 reg files, one from about 4:11am this morning and another that looks to have been created just a few minutes ago. So after install I can import my configuration from one of these? I appreciate the help
Yes
Why are you using the admin.exe?
Be sure to read the BI help file on Administration.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes
Why are you using the admin.exe?
Be sure to read the BI help file on Administration.
That is what the shortcut it put on my start menu calls. I copied my .reg files to the network so I won't lose them. I started to reinstall Blue Iris and it said it needed to install the c++ runtime prerequisites first. I found that odd as I was reinstalling the same version of BI I installed originally so they should already be there. Anyway, after it installed the C++ runtime it asked for reboot, so I let it, then on subsequent Windows login it would blue screen after a few seconds complaining about the video drivers. I booted in a mode with a basic VGA driver, updated the video drivers (actually was a downgrade from what was already there), and then I was able to log in and uninstall BI and re-install. Then on startup it complained it could not find BlueIris.exe. I went in and did a "Repair" of the app, and then it started right up and seemed to be using my current configuration, although the service was disabled. I clicked the box to run as service, it asked if OK to restart, I said OK, then the screen went black and all I could see is the mouse. I hit reset on the PC it came up, I checked and the BI service was running and now everyone can view the cameras on UI3.

So for the moment it is up but I don't trust it at all right now and I suspect there is an issue with my ADATA SSD that the OS and BI is installed on, although CrystalDiskInfo shows it as GOOD and 97% from the S.M.A.R.T. info. I am thinking maybe I should order a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 to replace the ADATA and start over from scratch.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had similar problems, a restart and some recent updates seems to heal that.
During the problematic time its good to have a old v4 running same cameras at another place via vpn as backup ;-)

Brgds TheSwede

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Any chance Windows update changed something? Like your graphics driver? or some other intel driver? and caused this? I had system stability issues until Fenderman pointed me to the right driver.
Further adding to the conundrum was a WD blue that seemed to be slowing playback down and was sluggish. When I went WD purple drive only, things seemed more responsive.
AND.....I did not have the Clean install with Win media Creation tool.
after straightening all this out....now i've been stable since about the first of the month. Not me....The machine....:love:

Last edited:

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Windows Update history shows last updates were installed on 6/14, but nothing video driver related, only Windows 10 Cumulative Update and Windows Defender updates. The file/folder corruption error was weird though as it kept coming back even after reboot, but all the tools that checked the drive for errors reporting no issues. My system is running an ADATA NVMe SSD boot drive for OS and Blue Iris. I have Purple dives on D: and E: for camera storage. The blue screen error I was getting was VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR and it was happening a few seconds after each login until I reinstalled the video drivers.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ment Blue iris updates .
What happend to me was when listing events it took som time and then ”Nothing to show”and a hang.