Blue Iris failure in Posting... message is "FTP: 530 sorry, the maximum # of hosts (10) for this user are already connected

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have recently moved to a web hosting service. I am posting snapshots but BI is failing with the message "FTP: 530 sorry, the maximum # of hosts (10) for this user are already connected"
I have BI running at a second location and it's posting fine.

Any suggestions what the cause/resolution could be?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's an FTP error returned from your hosting service that BI is just passing along. It's not actually the number of hosts, it's the number of simultaneous connections from whatever number of clients by the same user (even if just one).

You've exceeded and/or not dropped FTP connections you're making within whatever period of time toward that limit either on the BI or hosting side. Maybe creating too many within some period of time by having multiple triggers/cameras trying within the same time frame. The second site may not be making as many attempts to connect based on different numbers of cameras/triggered events/etc.

Under Alerts > Actions: On Alert button > Action set, take a look at how the the FTP server that you've defined is set up. There are settings for timeout and number of connections (90 seconds and 5 connections by default).

If it's a limit on the hosting side, which it may well be, then maybe you can up the limit on your FTP server in your control panel or maybe by user.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, I've been trying to work through this for a few days now.
I have Blue Iris running at 2 locations. One location (the remote one!) is working fine. The one at home is the one failing.

The problem cause appears to be too many connections at one time. I have 15 cameras posting snapshots at the same frequency, and as a result, I think they are consuming 15 connections. Since BI allows you to specify the frequency (every 900 seconds) and not the absolute "time" for it to post, each camera wants to post at 900 second intervals - at the SAME time after the hour.

I can stagger the posting times, but would rather not. Are there any "tricks" to change the timing of BI's posting setup?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your BI server's ports arn't facing the internet, right?