Blue Iris for Large Residential Installation

zac424

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I am looking to replace our current 64 channel Hikvision DS-9664NI with a Blue Iris system possibly.

Searching through video and feeds staying connected with the Hik nvr are getting a bit clunky. Plus the recorder is beginning to randomly reboot.

Would it be possible for a Blue Iris system to support around 55 or so HD video feeds on one machine and be able to retain footage for a decent amount of time?

Here would be the specs required since I would like them to match or at least be a small upgrade to our current system.
  • Ability to support 55 5MP video streams at 8 FPS
  • Ability to store at minimum 6 months of video footage
  • Ability to "tag" or differentiate between videos where motion is occurring for quicker video playback or investigation.
  • Ability to support Hikvision, Bosch, Honeywell, and Axis IP Cameras
  • Ability to support ONVIF video cameras
  • Ability for remote playback and remote live view
  • Motion event detection takes place on the recorder
Our property spans about 1 acre and has around 55 network cameras, a few with a fiber backbone to our main networking closet. All cameras are POE and connected to a POE switch, IE: removing the Hikvision box will not drop the cameras offline. The Hikvision box has two-gigabit ethernet ports and has about 32TB of storage spanned across 8 hard drives. Most cameras record at the full 5MP but I would consider allowing the indoor ones to drop down to 720p.

The second concern would be video retention. We want to have video stored for a pretty long duration I would even consider dropping it to a 3-month minimum. How would I be able to repurpose the drives on a new desktop PC? I am assuming an i9 box would be required (hello to a big electric bill).

I did look into Exacq vision, however don't like the idea of a recurring license fee and per camera license. Would consider other VMS systems if they had a per channel fee, Salient Systems is out of the picture.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
the orange ring indicates motion trigger or alert. this is an email alert. the full console would show a left hand column view of recent motions on different camera's giving you very fast recognition of events happening around the building.

index pic.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
thats 17 cams on 12 TB with about 30-35 days storage. I recently stopped snapping Jpegs to storage, becuase I learned to scrubb thru continous video more efficiently. So i might be closer to 50 days now. But I'm running some cams on 15, some on 10 some on 8 FPS.
I get hundreds of motion alerts a day. nearly continous on windy days due to outdoor trees wind, deer, cars, blah blah...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think having at least 6 weeks is good for my Condo....It took about that long to figure what was going on with mail theft. When a sharp resident noticed a bank of mailboxes partially open one night, I came in and reviewed video and found 2 visits in the 30 days that were available on that DVR at the time. I'm sure there were more. but we got the Postal inspector involved and had some good interior shots but horrendous outdoor vehicle shots.
I have since upped my outdoor game.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
for example, this console of BI currently has one cam installed at home. but what i want you to see is the left hand column which scrolls as new camera's report Alerts/motion. I can really manage my property far better with this software over a DVR/NVR software. I used to cringe at the thought of reviewing tape on a DVR. Still do actually.Screenshot 2021-11-12 213840.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't answer all your points, but hope it helps a bit. Somebody else with more knowledge will see this and chime in.
there are 6 and 8 SATA port boards out there.

Last edited:

zac424

n3wb
Reaction score
Now does Blue Iris also let you just watch motion? I forgot to mention that I record 24/7 on all cameras because you can't trust the motion to pick up every event.

I would like a timeline view that shows motion events so you could quickly scrub to them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it does. Most of us record 24/7 and have it record substream until motion and then switches to mainstream - saves a lot of storage and brings the CPU% down a lot.

BI has a demo, so give it a try. You can even pull the cameras in from the NVR by adding a camera and typing in the IP address and user and password of the NVR and then halfway down the screen or so you select the camera number. Then copy and repeat and change the camera number to get the next camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
all my motions in that left hand column can also be represented by a timeline view across the bottom. Once you learn to navigate BI backwards and forwards even 10-15%, you'll see the advantages over NVR software pretty quick

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also scrub efficiently using the web interface built into Blue Iris. UI3 gives you animated windows, mouse over for animation, to preview a clip before opening to actually review in real time. I'm running 20 cameras with continuous recording and can go through a whole night of activity on all of them in less than 20 minutes total time. Throw in being able to take advantage of DeepStack artificial intelligence to filter alerts and it gets even faster.