Blue Iris Garage Door Opener Problem

greenjeg

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I've started having a weird problem in the last several weeks. Whenever Blue Iris is running on my PC, one of my 4 IP cameras keeps losing its connection, and the remote for one of my 3 garage doors will not work (unless very close to the garage door opener). Turn off Blue Iris, but leave the PC on, and the all the camera connections are solid and the garage door remote works again. Launch Blue Iris and I get the problem all over again. It is behaving like a Wifi interference problem, but I can't imagine how the Blue Iris software itself could be causing this behavior.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that is strange. What cams are you running? When you turn blue iris off, are you streaming the camera feed to the pc via the browser?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're using wifi cameras and it's the cameras wifi interfering with your garage door opener. When BI is open it is constantly streaming from the cameras which would explain why it happens when BI is open.

greenjeg

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 Foscam cameras. When Blue Iris is turned off I've used the Foscam browser utility to watch them and everything is solid. Garage door remote also works fine when Blue Iris is off. I initially thought that Blue Iris might be flooding the Wifi airway with with data for stuff like the web server. I tried turning off the web server, stopped all image posting, and halted all archiving to my FTP server. None of that seemed to help. I also have an Arduino board that sends digital triggers to Blue Iris. I disconnected it to see if it is a source of interference. Still no change. It's got me stumped.

greenjeg

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mike. I'll try disconnecting the one camera tomorrow to see if that fixes the garage door problem. But that still doesn't explain my connectivity problem with my camera. When Blue Iris is on, the one camera drops its connection every few seconds. When Blue Iris is off, the camera connection is solid and I can watch the video feed via the browser.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mike. I'll try disconnecting the one camera tomorrow to see if that fixes the garage door problem. But that still doesn't explain my connectivity problem with my camera. When Blue Iris is on, the one camera drops its connection every few seconds. When Blue Iris is off, the camera connection is solid and I can watch the video feed via the browser.
All of the cameras being streamed at the same time may explain the connectivity problems. What kind of router do you have? Can you try hard wiring the cameras?

greenjeg

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a Zyxel PK5000 router provided by CenturyLink. Frankly I've been suspicious of its performance, but have not been able to verify it as the problem. I can stream from all four cameras at once using browser windows without any connectivity issues. It's not really convenient for me to hard wire them. They're in locations that would be hard to run wire to. I'll try experimenting with relocating one of the most problematic cameras tomorrow to see test for range or interference problems.

dalepa

Reaction score
Foscams have very well know dropout issues with load and lighting conditions... been there, like most of us here... They will drive you nuts, believe me... its the foscams...

I also had an issue with my garage door opener, and I suspect its wifi interference. I was able to make a small change to the remotes frequency (the small screw inside the remote) to get the remote to work again. I also purchased a Craftsman Assurelink in the process of fixing my garage door...

I suspect the load on your Foscams are somehow interfering with your garage...

greenjeg

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of the comments. I've been fooling around with things for the past week and think I have it sorted out. It seems that there were a few issues going on at once. Dalepa was right about a Foscam interfering with the garage door. I switched a couple of the foscams around and the problem went away, although there is still and identical foscam located near the garage door opener. As far as the problem with losing connection to the cameras, I spent a lot of time looking for interference and found none. After playing with the frame rate settings, I concluded that I had a bandwidth problem. I switched my old 40mbps wifi router for a new 300 mbps wifi router and I can now hold the connection with the cameras okay (as long as I don't exceed about 5fps). I still don't understand what changed in the past few weeks. I used to run at 20 fps with my old router with no problems. Oh well, it seems to be working adequately now. Thanks to everyone for the help.