Blue Iris - i5-4590S 3.0GHz 8GB sufficient?

TH3FRB

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read the wiki on choosing hardware for BI that states 4th gen i5 cpus "still make very capable computers for Blue Iris". I'm not interested in spending more than about $300 but I found a refurbished OptiPlex 9020 USFF i5-4590S with 8GB ram and Win7 Pro for $240. I'm only looking to run 3-5 cameras, probably 2-3MP each, maybe 1 5MP. So is this system sufficient to get the job done?

Only other thing I've found is an Inspiron tower with i5-6400, 8GB, and Win10 Home for $315. Would that be significantly more capable or just a bit?

EDIT - I've got an old laptop with a hardware glitch that I'm going to scrap and I should be bale to move my Win10 Pro license over if that helps the OptiPlex since it comes with Win7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For 3 to 5 cameras that should be very sufficient. Don't shoot yourself in the foot though by underserving your security needs!

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How is your heat on that Optiplex 9020 usff when the cpu is hanging around 50%? Can you measure with Speedfan? I see several for sale on eBay and I do like how small they are, but I imagine as business computers they were designed for 0% cpu idling, not constant crunching.

TH3FRB

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't say. I bought the computer and hav been running it for some other minor tasks but haven't set up BI and any cameras yet.