Blue Iris Ip Configuration Streaming Profiles question

Reaction score
Spent a good 3-4 hours reading up on main stream/sub-stream, especially since the mid-summer BI update (something I've never dabbled with since initial BI installation last year).
After hitting "find/inspect", all Dahua cameras come back as Generic ONVIF which I've really never had a problem with and leave as is. I do wonder why they are not found as Dahua's. Somewhere in my reading, this really only makes a difference in rare specific regards to audio streaming profiles or maybe PTZs. Maybe Dahua, Hikvision ,etc are industry standard and no need for other than Generic...and the drop down menu to select make/model is there for the non-standard ones?
Streaming profiles. All this time I've been using main stream for everything. That will be changing to use substreams.
I did notice on the one I set up as a test (5442 camera), I have the option to use main stream and substream2, but nothing for substream1. I verified all 3 streams are activated in the camera itself and the find/inspect log does show 3 profiles available. I can manually change substream2 over to substream1 by editing the paramenters and things work. Just curious why the substream1 is not available from the drop down menu.
inspect.jpg
profiles.jpg

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
All my Axis and Dahua cameras are setup with the Inspect button and labeled as "Generic/ONVIF". They all work just fine this way.

BI can only use one substream and one mainstream. Now you can chose whatever substream you want to pull from the camera by editing the parameters in the "Sub" field, but BI can only use one at a time. So it makes sense there is only one substream box even if your camera had a dozen substream channels available.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, same here - most of mine have come in generic. Not a big deal.

I suspect BI pulls the 2nd sub-stream as most people outside of this forum think they need to stream a higher resolution to their phone app, and a lot of cameras that 2nd substream can stream a higher resolution. Those of us in the know realize that you do not need a high substream, so we go in and adjust it.

I suspect some of these changes like this and adding the BVR overlay by default is that many people are using BI that are obviously not on this forum and are looking for a "plug and play" solution and BI is trying to appeal to that crowd too. I am shocked how many I know with cameras like what we have and never go into the camera GUI and didn't even know it is possible and simply run the camera on factory default settings...

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the general consensus now to use substreams? I remember when it was first released it was advised to wait until it had been tested more. Then I fell off the map for a awhile.

Reaction score
what substream resolution do folks use for UI3/Blue Iris app/grid view purposes? I am still learning and tinkering, and I have to keep in mind the images sent to Deepstack AI. Unsure what quality images are needed for Deepstack. D1? VGA? 720P? 1080P? Some cameras looks AOK at CIF, some look horrible so have to use 720P? Some look AOK with VBR some look AOK with CBR. I guess that is why we all tinker :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't run deepstack, but I run D1 at 256 bitrate and look fine in BI and on phone.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Another D1 vote substreams. That is what all mine are running. I’m also running h265 for main stream and sub streams.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score