Blue Iris is the greatest!

Jareds

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just thought I'd take a moment to comment on how my experience with blue iris has been. I've had it working for about a year now and I must say it has been flawless. It has helped prosecute 2 sets of people writing bad checks and has helped when customers have claimed we caused damage to their vehicles when you can clearly see the damage as they stroll in the driveway. Not enough people in the world review the positive experiences, usually just problems. It's absolutely hard to believe that basically one person wrote this software. This forum is an extension of blue iris's success. Ive had every question answered with success and I appreciate everyone's help. To anyone on the edge of buying blue iris, I say what are you waiting for? When first inquiring about blue iris I thought 60 bucks? How good can it be? So I rolled the dice and a year later I am still amazed at all its great features. Thanks for creating the most powerful, amazing nearly flawless video surveillance software ever. And thanks to this forum for making blue iris even better.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That reminds me, the other day I tried to play with Milestone XProtect Essential+ (the free version of an expensive VMS) just to see what it was like. It is a 1.8 GB download (that is what, 30 times larger than Blue Iris?) and the download speed was limited to about 4 Mbps by their server so it took over an hour to download. The installation time and complexity was appropriately enormous too, which I guess is no surprise considering the installer is larger than most Linux ISOs. I actually don't know how long installation took because I ended up leaving it overnight.

It automatically found the one test camera I had on the network, which was pretty neat, but it couldn't render that camera's video (only black) and the software is so complex I couldn't find where to edit the camera properties or add a camera manually so I could make sure the video URL was right. To be fair the camera was a piece of trash ptz that I keep in my office to remotely view computer monitors, and it probably had a broken ONVIF implementation.

Point is, if I had been "trying" Blue Iris instead it would have been up and running in 5 minutes. Time is worth something and $60 is a bargain price considering what you get :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not touting my abilities but rather to extol those of Blue Iris, I have successfully had the following brands up and displaying reliably on Blue Iris: 3 different Trendnets, a Foscam, 3 different Amcrests, an old Zonet, a Sricam, 2 Wanscams, a Ubiquiti AirCam, a Night Owl analog DVR, and a Zmodo analog DVR. I know that list is not remarkable and that others here can say the same and more but this is what really astounds me:
I have also displayed the local webcam of an HP20 All-in-One PC running Yawcam; a remote weathercam with an Axis encoder, a local iPhone4 running ipCam (by SKJM) and this one really pleases me: an analog cam on a Zmodo DVR that is fed into a Blue Iris server (with 13 cams) at a restaurant 8 miles away! Not to mention being able to display a static image from a web page. The list goes on and I know others have done things even more revealing of BI's value and flexibility.

One of the many things I like about this forum is hearing and learning about what other members have done with BI (and IP cams in general).

Last edited: