Blue Iris issues

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not especially tech savvy, but with the help of many on here was able to get my system up and running for over a year. About 6 months ago something happened (no hardware changes) and all my cameras went to no signal. I tried going through the forum and troubleshooting using the search feature, but have never been able to get everything back to how it was before everything went blank. Here's what is weird: i have 2 POE IP cams and 3 that are wireless (amcrest doorbell cam and 2 connected via RTSP) I can get the 3 wireless ones to work or if i mess with my network settings i can get the POE cameras to work, but not all 5 together. I put BI on another computer with the 15 days evaluation version and I can get the 3 wireless cameras on it and run the 2 POE cameras on my original blue iris server using 2 different computers at the same time, but can't get all 5 cameras like it used to run on the same machine.

I wanted to post all the details of my setup but was advised against putting everything out there in an open forum so if anyone has an idea of what setting I need to change to get things back in order I can PM this info to you

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like the wired and wireless cams are on disparate networks

Are you using a dual network card set-up on your BI server?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I can get the 3 wireless ones to work or if i mess with my network settings i can get the POE cameras to work, but not all 5 together.
What network settings are you changing when you toggle the abilities of the wired v. wireless cams?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you letting BI update? If so, maybe one of these got you?

5.6.2 - September 23, 2022

Blue Iris is changing IP addresses randomly

BI changes cameras ip address automatically overnight

Someone gave you some bad information about what to share and not share. Public WAN you don't want to share, but anything behind the modem is ok.

But without more detail we are shooting in the dark.

Are the cameras and BI computer connected to same switch?

Are they going thru the router?

It sounds like the cameras are on different IP address subnets.

Draw out a network topology diagram with IP addresses of the LAN side so we can see and confirm what is going on.

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system providing these ranges (basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

1694027182096.png

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like the wired and wireless cams are on disparate networks

Are you using a dual network card set-up on your BI server?
i don't think so....I'm guessing my computer doesn't have that capability as its an old refurbed Dell of some sort running an intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz with 16 GB ram

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range
With the IPv4 shortage these past several years, I have been seeing more and more public routed 172.* and 192.* addresses (outside of the private reserved ranges of course, but still starting with those 3 digits). Some wordpress stuff for example is hosted at 192.0.x.x.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What network settings are you changing when you toggle the abilities of the wired v. wireless cams?
somewhere in my notes i had written down that my IP address was XXX.YYY.Z.AA, but after my system went offline, when i checked my IP adress it was now XXX.YYY.BBB.CC. If I change my network settings to that old address, I can't access the internet or those wireless cams, but I get the POE IP cams just fine. If I run the windows network troubleshooter it will say my network adapter is disabled and will change my IP address back to the correct ones and then in that particular configuration, I can access the internet just fine and i can get the wireless cams but not the POE IP cams.
At first I thought it was a port forwarding issue/DHCP reservation issue, so I tried to manually change my server to the XXX.YYY.Z.AA address, but I got an error message saying it was outside the range.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Someone gave you some bad information about what to share and not share. Public WAN you don't want to share, but anything behind the modem is ok.

But without more detail we are shooting in the dark.

Are the cameras and BI computer connected to same switch?

Are they going thru the router?

It sounds like the cameras are on different IP address subnets.

Draw out a network topology diagram with IP addresses of the LAN side so we can see and confirm what is going on.

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system providing these ranges (basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

View attachment 171702
My 1 year of support ended on 4/21/22 so no updates after that. I will do my best to describe my net work map. From the ONT it goes into an Arris NVG468MQ Version: 9.3.0h7d91 Cable Modem(?). One of the outbound ethernet cabled goes up into my attic and into a POE switch which powers my 2 IP cameras. Another outgoing line from this cable modem goes into a switch that connects network cable throughout the house in about 8 different places. one of these places near the center of the house I have a TP link AC1900 ModelC9 Gigabit router. nothing is plugged in the internet plug. The ethernet cable coming from the ont-Arris cable modem just goes into one of the ethernet openings. There is an ethernet cable going out one of the ports of this TP link router that runs over to an office that didn't have existing ethernet wiring and it terminates into an Arris Model AM525 MOCA to wirelss extender. This is what the Blue Iris server is wired into. The 2 Eufy wireless cameras and the Amcrest Door Bell Camera are all connected to the network of the TP link router. Sorry I am too technically challenged to be able to make an actual drawing of my setup

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

the IP address I had written down when I first set up the system was 192.168.1.76. I'm not sure how I change things to get it to this as it takes a bit of monkeying around, but once I do it I can access my POE IP cams but lose my wireless cams. If i correct the IP address to 192.168.254.76, then i have normal internet working on the Blue Iris server and can get my 3 wireless cams but no POE IP cams

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Whats the IP Gateway address of the AC1900 router?
go to a command prompt in Windows and type ipconfig or also ipconfig /all
1694066246963.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
your IPv4 address of your computer, and your Default gateway are the clues to your network addresses....I'm thinking your Wifi cams should also be in that address scheme.
Just for starters gather up all the IP addresses of the devices on your network,,,,Some of them will be inside your router if you don't access your Eufy cams via a Browser
You may want to look at the DHCP reservation page of the router...and try to get some ip addresses OFF DHCP....like the BI PC and the Wired Cams....One guy here reserves .200 thru .254 for cameras and Blue Iris stuff...
if you want to go into your TC Lik AC1900 type the Gateway address into a browser,and login...or find out how to login....via the Google search....

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you set the POE cams up with a static IP address (or assign an IP address by MAC address in the router), and your wireless cams as dynamic IP addresses (grabs random IP address from your router)?

Maybe your Arris NVG468MQ router has separate DHCP servers for wired and wireless? For example, wired could lease out addresses from 192.168.0.2->192.168.0.254 and your wireless is lease out addresses from 192.168.11.2->192.168.11.254.

Log into your Arris NVG468MQ and check to see if wired and wireless have different DHCP servers. I couldn't find a good user manual that goes into weeds on the router, so it's a guess....

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your IPv4 address of your computer, and your Default gateway are the clues to your network addresses....I'm thinking your Wifi cams should also be in that address scheme.
Just for starters gather up all the IP addresses of the devices on your network,,,,Some of them will be inside your router if you don't access your Eufy cams via a Browser
You may want to look at the DHCP reservation page of the router...and try to get some ip addresses OFF DHCP....like the BI PC and the Wired Cams....One guy here reserves .200 thru .254 for cameras and Blue Iris stuff...
if you want to go into your TC Lik AC1900 type the Gateway address into a browser,and login...or find out how to login....via the Google search....
I do have the IP addresses for my cams. The wireless ones are: 192.168.254.149, 192.168.254.155, 192.168.254.126 and the wired ones are: 192.168.1.110 and 192.168.1.109

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So they are on different subnets.

Wireless is on 192.168.254.xxx

Wired is on 192.168.1.xxx

Make them both on same subnet and all will be seen at same time. Either change wireless to wired subnet or vice versa depending on your overall network topology and security needs.