Blue Iris - Methods of Reducing CPU Usage

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
System Model: HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16G
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043)

Hi folks - I'm running BI on a dedicated machine (specs above). It is used only for BI (no other foreground interactive use or background non-essential apps).

I have 11 cameras controlled by BI, 2 of them are 8k, the others are 5k, all using Direct to Disk recording to a SSD.

I've been using this machine with the same camera configuration for a couple of years now; when I first started CPU would hover around 60-70%. It has crept up over time though, and now CPU usage is 95-100%. RAM is only half used.

Tried limiting the FPS on all of the cameras but that had no effect on CPU usage.

I presume the increase in CPU required is coming from Windows 10 and BI updates. Task manager shows BI using 95-100% CPU.

Does anyone know of any BI customization that I can try to reduce CPU demand?

Thanks for any help!

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cool! Will do & thanks for pointing me to the right place.

Cheers!

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, as we used to say back in the day, RTFM. (Problem is, I couldn't FIND the F* Manual LOL, so I appreciated the steer in the right direction).

@mattp

I already used direct to disk before starting the wiki, so I focused on the sub stream next. The results were astounding. From 95-100% CPU down to ~18% !!! Incredible difference that made and without sacrificing much resolution on the multi-screen view and none on the maximized single camera view and clip recording. Blew me away...I thought I was going to have to pony up for more hardware!

I will continue the tuning efforts per the wiki & update on anything further. At this rate I'll be selling cpu cycles to my neighbors! :p

Thanks again for the help.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@eyeball,
That's great news, and good to hear. I was looking at some used Ebay computers with similar computing power to replace my NVR. I have 11 cameras set up as well, and may add some more. Seems I may want something with a little more computing power, if possible, but somewhere in the ball park of the I7-3770. Out of curiosity how's your memory usage?

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mattp

The status bar on the bottom of the BI screen shows 1.4G - must be BI's usage because the overall memory use (from task manager) is 4.8G.

I purchased my HP Convertible Minitower (CMT) (not sure why it's named that way) on ebay too - it was a refurb and has given me no trouble (knock on wood) for a few years now, running nearly 24x7. I did replace the HDD with an SSD and bumped the memory to 16Gb just after buying it. Got a decent price on it too. The thing is you will want to be sure that whatever you purchase can run Windows 11 as this HP I have can't (says it doesn't have the correct level of a security chip or something like that).

By the way, if you're like me and get tangled up about what processor is faster, check out PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts - really good reference for cross brand comparisons of different components.

tgif! Cheers!

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mattp

The status bar on the bottom of the BI screen shows 1.4G - must be BI's usage because the overall memory use (from task manager) is 4.8G.

I purchased my HP Convertible Minitower (CMT) (not sure why it's named that way) on ebay too - it was a refurb and has given me no trouble (knock on wood) for a few years now, running nearly 24x7. I did replace the HDD with an SSD and bumped the memory to 16Gb just after buying it. Got a decent price on it too. The thing is you will want to be sure that whatever you purchase can run Windows 11 as this HP I have can't (says it doesn't have the correct level of a security chip or something like that).

By the way, if you're like me and get tangled up about what processor is faster, check out PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts - really good reference for cross brand comparisons of different components.

tgif! Cheers!
WOW! Thank you for reminding me of that! Of course, we can always firewall the PC off from the internet, but it's probably a better idea to keep the Windows version up to date.
Here's a list of Windows 11 supported cpus:
Looks like the i5-8400 has a passmark of 9200 which is better than your i7-3770 (6400) and supports windows 11. It may be a good choice, but bumps the computer price up to around $250-$300, though.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WOW! Thank you for reminding me of that! Of course, we can always firewall the PC off from the internet, but it's probably a better idea to keep the Windows version up to date.
Looks like the i5-8400 has a passmark of 9200 which is better than your i7-3770 (6400) and supports windows 11. It may be a good choice, but bumps the computer price up to around $250-$300, though.
Good info on the i5...guess I'll be replacing my box eventually; according to MS, Windows 10 is good until Oct 14, 2025, so I have some time to find soda cans and pop bottles & turn them in for the deposit :winktongue:...

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, the i5-8400 has 6 threads and 6 cores vs. your i7 with 8 threads and 4 cores. So, if I had to guess it would be an upgrade all around.
Anyone have any reasons to choose windows pro over home for Blue Iris?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The I5-8500 EliteDesk and Optiplex PC's offer good price to performance ratio.
Choose the SFF size's.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Had some time to move forward through the Camera Frame Rate (15) section - made adjustments, now CPU is hovering at....10% !!!

I'll keep moving through the rest of the tuning and report back, but I can't imagine it can go much lower.

THANK YOU to the folks that chimed in here and another huge THANK YOU !!! to the folks that created the wiki - saved my bacon and greatly appreciated!!!

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, quick final update - I went thru Live preview frame rate - I set it from 30 to 10 - CPU is 9-10% - very happy with that & the rest of the tuning I'm going to forego at this point.

Thanks again!