Blue Iris Mobile App (Android) Microphone disabled

SardoN

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just noticed that the microphone icon is greyed out on my mobile app. While I can hear live audio without any issues, I'm a bit puzzled about how to re-enable the microphone feature.

Additionally, when the microphone did work in the past, the audio quality wasn't the best when using Blue Iris. For example, if I wanted to chat with my dog, the sound wasn't very clear. However, when I switched to the native Foscam app, the audio was crystal clear. So, it seems like something in Blue Iris might be affecting the audio quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the microphone working again in the app? Also, any tips on improving the audio clarity would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....if I wanted to chat with my dog, the sound wasn't very clear.
Ask your dog to not speak when his mouth is full...:lmao:
Sorry...I couldn't resist.
However, when I switched to the native Foscam app, the audio was crystal clear.
Have you tried replicating the Foscam app settings for audio in Blue Iris' audio settings for the Foscam camera?
Have you logged into the Foscam's webGUI to know the specific audio type and settings in the cam that BI needs to be configured for?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to select a foscam camera make and model that supports audio from the dropdown in the BI server - dont use find inspect.
The blue iris mobile app has an issue with audio talk/send quality which will never get fixed unless more people email support and make an issue out of it. This is an app issue as audio sent directly from a prerecorded file on a pc is crystal clear.

SardoN

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Firstly, I'd like to say a big thank you for taking the time to respond to my original post. Your suggestions were really appreciated, and I was optimistic about getting my microphone issue sorted.

However, I've hit a bit of a snag, and I'm now quite concerned. I took your advice and delved into the Foscam web interface to look for audio settings. Oddly enough, there were no specific settings pertaining to audio that I could find. So, I tweaked a few settings and thought it best to back up my Blue Iris settings to a .reg file, just to be on the safe side.

And that's where things went pear-shaped. I made some changes to my camera settings, and it completely mucked up the system. In an attempt to remedy this, I re-imported the .reg backup I'd made earlier. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue; it reset my entire camera system. To make matters worse, when I re-entered my license key, it said it was a 'maintenance key.' I managed to find my original key, but now I'm stuck with 'Blue Iris Evaluation' plastered all over my cameras.

I'm really quite puzzled and concerned, as I've already paid for the software and now have only a 15-day trial remaining. Could someone please shed some light on what might have gone wrong? Why am I being asked to fork out another $80 for a license?

I'm really hoping to get this sorted as my entire system is in limbo now. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
SN

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should have just exported out that camera instead of the entire BI system.

Now what you did is you had an active license going and then imported in an active license, so BI thinks you are trying two instances. You need to deactivate/deregister any system before you import in settings.

You will need to email BI per the directions in the help file and tell them what you did so that they can reset your license.

SardoN

n3wb
Reaction score
You should have just exported out that camera instead of the entire BI system.

Now what you did is you had an active license going and then imported in an active license, so BI thinks you are trying two instances. You need to deactivate/deregister any system before you import in settings.

You will need to email BI per the directions in the help file and tell them what you did so that they can reset your license.
Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick and insightful response. I now see the error of my ways, and yes, I'm quite upset with myself for causing this mess. Lesson learned, I assure you!

Going forward, I'll make sure to only export the individual camera settings, as you've suggested. Just to clarify, if I save these settings as a .reg file per specific camera, I can safely import them back into the camera without causing any more hiccups?

Thanks again for guiding me through this tricky situation. Your advice has been invaluable, and I'm eager to get everything back to normal.

Best regards,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, if you do just the camera, then you can simply delete the camera that you messed up and re-import it.

The full BI export that you did is more for when you are switching computers.

Many have been there, so you aren't the first to make this mistake. It usually takes BI a few days to get back to you, but they will straighten it out provided you follow the contact method in the help file!