Blue iris mobile app

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it worth the 10$ in the App Store? The web access via mobile is pretty rough. Just wanted to ask before making the purchase. Wasn’t sure if there was a decent alternative or not or if this is one of those just buy the app moments.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it worth the 10$ in the App Store? The web access via mobile is pretty rough. Just wanted to ask before making the purchase. Wasn’t sure if there was a decent alternative or not or if this is one of those just buy the app moments.
Using the UI3 webserver is the only other way. Many use it for remote viewing and in a lot of ways its better than the app. The app adds the ability to get push notifications as well as talk function for cameras that are supported.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don’t need talk and exploring home assistant notifications to telegram. So those items are not needed.

maybe it is Firefox I am using vs chrome. Ui3 web interface works in a ping but it clunky. If anything I guess maybe just thinking a cleaner way to review alerts. But even then not sure how bad I need it.

wish there was a trial just to see it’s benefit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have both and prefer UI3.

The problem with the push notifications with the BI app is when away from home, to get pictures you either need to port forward (not recommended) or keep VPN on all the time. I have since gone to the Pushover app like many have here to get the pics regardless of whether home or away.

I do still use the BI app for two-way talk, but that isn't often. I am in UI3 way more than the BI app.

Maybe it is the setup you have for UI3 that is the issue? You can do some customization to get the look/feel you need. I can select a camera and see a list with thumbnails of all the alerts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t need talk and exploring home assistant notifications to telegram. So those items are not needed.

maybe it is Firefox I am using vs chrome. Ui3 web interface works in a ping but it clunky. If anything I guess maybe just thinking a cleaner way to review alerts. But even then not sure how bad I need it.

wish there was a trial just to see it’s benefit.
You are stressing way too much over 10 bux.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have both and prefer UI3.

The problem with the push notifications with the BI app is when away from home, to get pictures you either need to port forward (not recommended) or keep VPN on all the time. I have since gone to the Pushover app like many have here to get the pics regardless of whether home or away.

I do still use the BI app for two-way talk, but that isn't often. I am in UI3 way more than the BI app.

Maybe it is the setup you have for UI3 that is the issue? You can do some customization to get the look/feel you need. I can select a camera and see a list with thumbnails of all the alerts.
Perhaps you are right and it is just my setup. I know I did not do a lot of customizing

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are stressing way too much over 10 bux.
Not really. There is a difference between stressing and asking if it is worth it. If the consensus is not really worth it, then why waste the money.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It's worth having I think. On my phone I use the app a lot more than UI3. UI3 on tablets. UI3 more than BI on my desktops and laptops. BI when I need to set up, change, or fix things otherwise.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It has its purpose.
those are a few screen shots.
I manage a 74 unit bldg.
when UPS and FedEx ring me at the intercom I can see it’s really them. I can see the property where ever I am.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It has its purpose.
those are a few screen shots.
I manage a 74 unit bldg.
when UPS and FedEx ring me at the intercom I can see it’s really them. I can see the property where ever I am.
Thanks. This helps. And I think what @Mike A. said too. Right now I need a pc and rdp to manage anything blue iris. Being able to check or make a quick edit from my phone would be nice. I also think the alerts layout as you presented it is 10x better. Appreciate the feedback

tofu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most of my mobile phone viewing is "live," so I use tinycam. I just use the BI app for the rare clip or alert playback I do on the phone

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd say buy it and try it. You can get a refund within 2 hours or so.