Blue Iris Motion Detection

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris handling Motion Detection for multiple cameras.

Right now when motion id detected, the recording only starts half way through the event.
For example if I walk across the cameras field of view, the recording will start with me in the middle and miss the first portion.

How can I remedy this problem?

I tried increasing the sensitivity a bit but it did not help.
Currently Blue Iris will detect movement of shadows from branches but not my dog running across the field of view. Sizes are approximately the same on the camera.

Any Ideas

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
In the "Record" tab for the cameras properties, select "Pre-trigger frame buffer size" and change it to whatever you like. My cameras are set at 15 FPS so I set this to 45, giving me plenty of time to see when they walk into the field of view.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got fed up with all the shadows from branches and leaves and I reconfigured all my motion detection to do "Color Only" detection during the day and "Brightness only" during the night using two profiles. I haven't had any shadow recordings yet today and it still triggers for people (most of the time) and the neighbor's cat, so so far it seems to be working. Though maybe it just wasn't windy enough early in the morning when the shadows were out in full force. Will see over the next few days.

Also, I use the Object Detect / Reject option (and have for at least a year). It definitely helps cut down false positive triggers from random stuff like shadows and full-scene brightness changes. This feature unfortunately will also reject motion from multiple subjects so if you had for example two people moving on opposite sides of the frame it would probably reject the motion and not trigger recording. To deal with anything the motion captures miss, I also have 24 hour recording set up for a few sub streams, handled by a second install of BI on a second PC which I rarely look at.

Oh, also I've noticed that a person running quickly across the camera's field of view is often not recorded. Probably it is the object detect thing getting confused and not being able to identify it as a single object. So if you have that enabled you may want to try turning it off, or increase the frame rate so the motion is more fluid (assuming you aren't already at 15+ FPS)

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you doing direct to disc recording? If so, recording starts on an iframe and some cameras default to one every 2 seconds, so increasing this to maybe 2 per second may help.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd sooner increase the frame buffer size than reduce the iframe interval. More efficient video data that way. But also more video data. ... I wonder which way is actually more efficient?