Blue Iris on a 2014 Macbook pro i7-4980HQ 2.8ghz running Windows 10

malkazoid

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all...

Wondering if anyone has tried this.
The specs of the cpu ( Intel® Core™ i7-4980HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) Product Specifications ) seem to stack up very favourably compared to one of the recommended cpus ( Intel Core i5-6500 ).

It has Quicksync and of course hyperthreading.

I'm planning to test this with Blue Iris before I decide whether I have to buy another dedicated machine for it. This macbook pro has been replaced with a later model for my everyday use, so isn't doing anyone any good: if it works for this application, I might as well use it?

Any issues you can think of that I might encounter (I'm still 6 weeks away from having the time to test this).
I plan to run 4 x 8mp cameras at first, with a view to adding a couple of extra cameras if the CPU can keep up.
It is a mobile cpu, so I imagine it won't last forever under constant load... but again, at least I'd be using it for something while it lasts...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Laptops are not an ideal choice, as the CPU will be throttled back when the temp rises on the cpu. The cpu gets constant use, unlike normal daily stuff. Of course you can always try it, but don't be surprised if it gives you grief. 8mp cams take a lot of horsepower to process.

malkazoid

n3wb
Reaction score
Laptops are not an ideal choice, as the CPU will be throttled back when the temp rises on the cpu. The cpu gets constant use, unlike normal daily stuff. Of course you can always try it, but don't be surprised if it gives you grief. 8mp cams take a lot of horsepower to process.
I'll report back.